Railroad Forums 

• The railroad bridges at Easton, PA and Phillipsburg, NJ

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#1073864  by walterconklin

Hello,

My friend Doug Relyea, who is laying track and placing scenery at Easton and Phillipsburg on the virtual Tristate route created for the Microsoft Train Simulator platform, sent me the following message:

"I'm curious when the two truss bridges for the road and trolley under the CNJ bridge were replaced with the concrete arch. And when the two story LV pass station was removed. I'm guessing the freight house was sunder the elevated tracks, by the freight cars on the river side ofthe elevated track. And all I was trying to do was figure out where the Morris canal crossed under the Bel Del."

Does anyone have any information to share regarding Doug's inquiries?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #1073992  by NYS&W142Fan

I'm not sure of the dates when the Station was removed or the other changes took place, but I do know there is a date on the LV Bridge concrete of 1901, the Southern most overhead bridge. The Morris Canal crosses the Bel Del about 100 yards South of that. There is a dip in the tracks where the inclined plane was. I would suggest checking with the Canal Museum for the exact location.
I hope this helps.
 #1074376  by Bethlehem Jct.

The "old" LVRR Easton station was replaced by the "new" one in Feb. 1927. However, the railroad continued to use the building for offices for a number of years after. It was finally demolished in 1945 I believe. I can't find my source for the year of demolition. Regardless, the structure stood for a number of years after it ceased being used as a passenger station. It can be seen in the 1938 Penn Pilot photographs.