Railroad Forums 

• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1073267  by MaineCoonCat

number7 wrote:By only being open for special events and Christmas, they can probably make a good profit.
One wonders if this "good profit" is good enough to pay employees sufficiently that they actually care about the operation, especially those whose skills, knowledge and abilities are essential to the safety of the railroad and those "kiddie rides".

It would be interesting to see what their insurance coverage and premiums look like (hey, I worked in that "world" for a while).
 #1073431  by MaineCoonCat

Watching their Facebook page as time progresses, it is becoming quite apparent to me that the actual "railroad" is diminishing in importance to [at least the visible level of] their management and what seems to be a clientele of young parents with very young children. To me it seems the target audience is ~ + or - 6 years of age. If this is indeed the case, as Charles Schultz's "Peanuts" character Charlie Brown would say; We (and Edaville as we knew and loved it) are doomed!
 #1073535  by steamer69

Edaville has been doomed since 1997...........

It's just dying a long, slow, pitiful death.
 #1073665  by number7

Papa Barn Said.

"One wonders if this "good profit" is good enough to pay employees sufficiently that they actually care about the operation, especially those whose skills, knowledge and abilities are essential to the safety of the railroad and those "kiddie rides".

It would be interesting to see what their insurance coverage and premiums look like (hey, I worked in that "world" for a while)."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect that they are probably paying people just above minimum wage and no benefits, since they work so little. There may be a few exceptions. They may use a temp agency or they may know enough locals that are retired or do not need to depend on a job for anything other than extra cash, thus their labor costs are probably very reasonable.

As far as people who care about the operation? That's a laugh. No one is going to care more than the boss, no one is going to work harder than the boss, thus since the boss doesn't care and doesn't work at improving the place, how can we expect the employees to care or go out of their way?

I understand that the owner doesn't go anywhere without a wrecking ball in tow.

I would think that since they are open so little, that their insurance can't be that bad. They don't operate beyond early Jan until June, that's almost 6 months off right there.

Edaville has shown in the past that it can make money. It has shown that Xmas can subsidize operating the rest of the year. Thus if you're only open during peak times, it would be difficult to not make money. Although, if there is a way of failing at anything, those running Edaville will find it.
 #1073666  by number7

by papabarn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:34 pm
Watching their Facebook page as time progresses, it is becoming quite apparent to me that the actual "railroad" is diminishing in importance to [at least the visible level of] their management and what seems to be a clientele of young parents with very young children. To me it seems the target audience is ~ + or - 6 years of age. If this is indeed the case, as Charles Schultz's "Peanuts" character Charlie Brown would say; We (and Edaville as we knew and loved it) are doomed!

-------------------------------
They've said publicly that they want to be the premier attraction for the 0-12 crowd. That's who they are targeting. Bilking money from the ignorant.
 #1073668  by number7

by steamer69 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:37 am
Edaville has been doomed since 1997...........

It's just dying a long, slow, pitiful death.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as those of us in this forum who regularly post are concerned, it's been dead since at least when they tore the tracks up, maybe even before then depending on your point of view.

If I were to visit one last time, I'd like to go alone, at a time when there was no one there, and just walk around and remember what used to be.
 #1073671  by number7

"Number 7 - Just to set things straight; I'm not suggesting the possibility of installing a full blown amusement park down there. I agree that the focus should be on railroading (and street railways). I believe that a "distant amusement park" should be represented by miniature representation - just the way that the old loop used to represent a real 1800's train ride before.
------------------------------------------------------
Thank you 3rd rail. I now understand your point of view.
I can go along with that, provided it's after they re-lay the track around the reservoir.

It certainly would be unique to have a narrow gauge trolley car or cars and I think that it would add to the variety. If those clowns hadn't sold the area around the ballfield that would have been a possible place to put such an amusement park and thus providing a destination for the street car. Maybe cut into the woods before the ball park as well. But, those idiots have ruled that out. Too bad.

I still get over the stupidity of cutting back an already short 5.42 mile loop to a mere 1.75 miles. That's what, about 9200 feet, pretty short. Not bad for a live steam group but poor for a tourist RR.

Have a good weekend.
 #1073679  by 3rdrail

number7 wrote:

If I were to visit one last time, I'd like to go alone, at a time when there was no one there, and just walk around and remember what used to be.
If I were to visit one last time, I'd like to go alone, at a time when there was no one there, just me and my sledge hammer, and pay Thomas the Tank Engine a visit. He was the beginning of the end. Afterwards, a royal salute with a hastily manifested liquid stream arc running over his silly face would be an appropriate finale at which time "closure" would have been made. Ah, I feel better even just imagining it ! :-)
Attachments:
thomas.jpg
thomas.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
 #1073690  by MaineCoonCat

3rdrail wrote:I agree with most everyone's sentiments here (I'm dreading reading Cosmo's report - I've heard that it's 643 pages !). I'll just add that I think that if they want the kiddies and rides, that Edaville could have them still and come out a winner. The trick would be to also have a living steam locomotive museum by virtue of a collection that people could ride on (like before, through villages, etc.). Put in an amusement park. Have it set up that a short trolley ride takes you to the park, just like in a bygone era when trolley companies built parks and lines to service them. I know that land is an issue, but I can't help but think that a little creative wrangling might induce some to sell.
I DO like this concept and it's refinement as evidenced in subsequent posts. If I were the beneficiary of the right Powerball ticket, this is an investment I'd really, really strongly consider. Sadly, I doubt however that this would even remotely interest current ownership. Ahhhh... I'm experiencing another moment where reality can really suck...
3rdrail wrote:Afterwards, a royal salute with a hastily manifested liquid stream arc running over his silly face would be an appropriate finale at which time "closure" would have been made.
One would hope that only the finest malt beverage would be used in the preparation for the ceremony bestowing this honour. Image
 #1073710  by Cosmo

Speaking of the FYG
From the FYG Newsletter:
"The trucks are complete, weatherization done, doors and windows finished, interior components ready for installation, and "B" Car finished/set up as it was in 1935. The Flying Yankee is open for scheduled Open House Dates, call ahead requests, and scheduled Tour Group requests. See www.flyingyankee.com web page or hit Flying Yankee link at top of this newsletter for dates."
The attached photo shows the FY trainset now no longer completely shrouded in plastic.
 #1073781  by steamer69

Comso wrote:Speaking of the FYG
From the FYG Newsletter:
"The trucks are complete, weatherization done, doors and windows finished, interior components ready for installation, and "B" Car finished/set up as it was in 1935. The Flying Yankee is open for scheduled Open House Dates, call ahead requests, and scheduled Tour Group requests. See www.flyingyankee.com web page or hit Flying Yankee link at top of this newsletter for dates."
The attached photo shows the FY trainset now no longer completely shrouded in plastic.

Must be getting close to 1998. Maybe they auctioned off more parts of the original train set to fund it. I know of some beautiful Winton parts that can be had real cheep......Not like that Yankmee is ever going to do anything with them, or all of other stuff they let go. So much for museum pieces or interpretation.

So How about the rumor that the train set is for sale? Warren Buffet to turn it into a Pioneer Zephyr anyone?
 #1073819  by 3rdrail

papabarn wrote:One would hope that only the finest malt beverage would be used in the preparation for the ceremony bestowing this honour. Image
Oh, indubitably, Miller High Life - "the champagne of bottled beer", could only be the vehicle for this prestigious ceremony ! I'm even contemplating the attachment of twelve-volt battery power leads to Thomas' s two hoses (the left hangs lower than the right) so as to give him a certain "zing" during the liquid "salute" finale !
 #1073857  by frrc

Wonder what Edaville's property tax bill is, along with other operating expenses ?
 #1073900  by MaineCoonCat

frrc wrote:Wonder what Edaville's property tax bill is,
Well, got'cher calculator handy? http://www.carverma.org/assessors/
frrc wrote:along with other operating expenses ?
Being privately held, this will be far more difficult...
 #1074994  by number7

I took a quick peak at the Edavillette web page and noted that they said that they are planning on replacing the former Cranberry Jct station. Someone asked if it would be the same design. They said that they originally were going to go that route but then decided that that design wasn't right for what they wanted to do.

They also mentioned that they would be building a water tower next year.

Someone asked about expanding the mainline but there was no reply.

Judging by the pictures, they're really tearing things up.

There was no mention of doing anything important like restoring for former track around the reservoir.

However, rebuilding the water tower and replacing Cranberry Jct station are two steps in the right direction.

There was also a picture of them installing a signal. That signal looked like the one that was at the crossing on the south end of Eda Ave.

If they do replace Cranberry Jct station with a quality building and build a new water tower then I have to conclude that someone down there thinks that Edaville is going to be around for a while.

It is not unreasonable to get the main area of Edaville up to snuff before tackling expanding the mainline.

However, the short mainline is a deal breaker for me. Unless they re-lay the track around the reservoir I'll still consider the place as being dead and of no interest to me or the discerning railfan.

Apparently they are not opening until late September of this year.

If they can get the permission they need to re-lay the track around the reservoir then there is indeed hope that things will get better and Edaville will again be worth visiting.

Static displays can be reacquired. If the new steam engine is any good, they can always order another and then another. There is the possibility of getting a few pieces here and there of authentic Maine Two Footer equipment from Maine.

We shall see what happens.