Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1000363  by jaymac

On the trivia front and from a non-trespassing point of view, it appears sometime before 12-22-2011 at 1330 that the reservoir for the flange luber just west of the Prescott Street, W. Boylston, crossing has gone missing. Mebbe the extra wheel squeal on the curves either side of the crossing is to provide some reinforcement for the two longs, a short, and a short prolonged until entering upon the crossing.
 #1012463  by jaymac

Before 1130 on 01-30-2012, not the Great Wall of Ties, not even the Modest Wall of Ties, but the Leaning Tower of Ties had been erected near the south rail just west of the Prescott Street crossing. They're probably not going to slide into the ROW, but it does look a bit weird.
 #1017687  by jaymac

Sometime before 1015 on 02-14-2012, the Leaning Tower of Ties just west of the Prescott Street crossing got relocated.
 #1054619  by jaymac

On 06-15-2012, TC (tamper) 10608 plus 1 (presumably a regulator) got a 0827 time effective from D-3 on G-313, putting the Worcester Main OOS between Clinton West and Harvard. Two things were interesting: It was the 13th order relatively soon into the day, and D-3 didn't set time limits. When the foreman presumably asked about the second item, her response was that there was nothing foreseeable.
 #1056575  by jaymac

On 06-22-2012 at about 0755, D-3 gave the tamper a Line 4 between Clinton West and Harvard. By itself, that's not much news, but the TOM offered that there hadn't been a SEPO the night before and that it was hard to predict about a POSE, so the tamper should call back around 1100. 1100 was when I stopped listening. I may have missed info about POSE or it may have been handled by phone, but Worcester Line seems less active day- and night-time on an admittedly small sampling.
 #1056711  by jr145

CPF363 wrote:Has any of the work on the Worcester Main resulted in any speed upgrades?

Harvard to MP21: 25MPH
MP21 to MP19: 10MPH
MP19 to Burncoat St: 25MPH
Burncoat st to Barber: 10MPH
 #1057114  by newpylong

jr145 wrote:
CPF363 wrote:Has any of the work on the Worcester Main resulted in any speed upgrades?

Harvard to MP21: 25MPH
MP21 to MP19: 10MPH
MP19 to Burncoat St: 25MPH
Burncoat st to Barber: 10MPH

Did they fix all the crossings that were 10 mph between 19 and Burncoat? The last time I looked at a speedo a couple weeks ago it was littered with while passings...
 #1057144  by jr145

I don't believe so. Those are the timetable speeds that were updated in November. Slowly but surely.....
 #1118208  by johnhenry

MBTA extra train on Dec 5th had an engine facing north, followed by a single passenger car, followed by 2 engines facing south.
Today (Tues Dec 11th) I saw the same train (didn't see engine numbers though) passing thru Oakdale at 11am. Same set-up (engine, car, 2 engines). Also heading north.

This is the first time I've seen or heard of an MBTA extra on the Worcester main since I've lives here (over 20 yrs). Wonder why?
 #1118211  by johnhenry

I should have mentioned that the MBTA extra I saw on Dec 5th was north (east) bound - it was late morning.
So it seemd that it made a round trip to Worcester (I first spotted it while west of Barber on the P&W with a P&W pilot on-board. The pilot got off at Shay.)
 #1118244  by neman2

johnhenry wrote:MBTA extra train on Dec 5th had an engine facing north, followed by a single passenger car, followed by 2 engines facing south.
Today (Tues Dec 11th) I saw the same train (didn't see engine numbers though) passing thru Oakdale at 11am. Same set-up (engine, car, 2 engines). Also heading north.

This is the first time I've seen or heard of an MBTA extra on the Worcester main since I've lives here (over 20 yrs). Wonder why?
See the discussion at the MBTA rail operations thread -

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=115577