Railroad Forums 

• MARC GP40 & GP39 status

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#972195  by Kevin.D

I thought one of the GP39s had its HEP power plant removed, and was to move on to one of the state-owned freight shortlines in the eastern peninsula. Since the state owns the locomotives that were not traded in, it should be free to move them around to any state-owned trackage operated by a contract operator, right?
 #981881  by realtype

Kevin.D wrote:I thought one of the GP39s had its HEP power plant removed, and was to move on to one of the state-owned freight shortlines in the eastern peninsula. Since the state owns the locomotives that were not traded in, it should be free to move them around to any state-owned trackage operated by a contract operator, right?
That sounds about right. The original plan was to eventually use them for freight service.
 #983024  by bmcdr

As of this morning, 51 and 66 are here at Boston Engine Terminal, drained and stored. The report shows them as being prepped for return to lessor.
 #1031474  by ChrisU

Any GP40s or GP39s still in service because I will be going to Baltimore soon and I would like to catch one.
 #1031580  by realtype

NJTArrow2 wrote:Any GP40s or GP39s still in service because I will be going to Baltimore soon and I would like to catch one.
The GP40's have all been retired for a while now. The only place you'll see them running is with MBTA in Boston. :-) All of the GP39's should be in service though. Those are run on the shorter 3 car trains on the Brunswick and Camden Lines, as well as on midday Penn Line trains.
 #1031652  by octr202

And we're down to one (66) in service up here, although 51 and 59 are still stored on the property and I believe could be put in service if needed. 61 and 67 have been sent somewhere, I guess Boise or somewhere else for storage.
 #1033708  by realtype

NJTArrow2 wrote:Thanks,so which train on the Camden Line is my best bet to see one?
Well since the GP39 are usually run on 3 car trains (but sometimes 4 cars trains as well), its possible a GP39 could be on one or two of a number of Camden Line trains. I haven't taken the Camden line in a good while, but if the train lengths are still the same a GP39 could be on any Camden train except for the following:

There's a very small chance one of the above may have one if there's a power shortage, except for 849/852 which uses 5 cars and will never use a GP39. Another thing is that trains are very often double headed on the Camden Line (especially on 853 and the other reverse flow trains) since the diesels are maintained in Baltimore, and in that situation any train could have a GP39.
 #1034603  by ChrisU

Thanks for the information,don't they or they used to store GP40WH-2s in Riverside?
 #1040758  by realtype

NJTArrow2 wrote:Thanks for the information,don't they or they used to store GP40WH-2s in Riverside?
Sorry the late response. Yeah, they did at one point after they started to leave service, but I think they've all been handed over to MPI now.
 #1053248  by Matt_S

It appears that GP40 68 may have been used in passenger service this last Friday. Caught a glimpse of it reversing out of Camden Yards (although didn't see what it had behind it) at around 6.10pm.
 #1053495  by twropr

Matt_S wrote:It appears that GP40 68 may have been used in passenger service this last Friday. Caught a glimpse of it reversing out of Camden Yards (although didn't see what it had behind it) at around 6.10pm.
I believe it was also used on Sun. the 11th to haul Amtrak trains thru the limits where ET was out due to the fiasco with the Bush River Bridge.

Andy
 #1053600  by jcepler1

I've seen it over the past few weeks sitting in Odenton MOW yard, I assume it is being used as a protect locomotive.