Railroad Forums 

• Students Cross-Country Trip

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#1042420  by CP-4070

Hi folks,
by the end of the year I have 3 months off as a break between beeing a student and becoming a mechanical engineer at Siemens, constructing Amtraks ACS 64. I have the idea to use the time to make a round the world trip with British Airways which is not that expensive as I thought. I want to see all the things I never did and may never can do again which would be London-Tokyo (Railfaning in Tokyo), Tokyo -Sydney and Sydney to LAX, somehow get to New York or Newark and then back to London.

I planed 4 weeks in the US to get from the WC to the EC. My route will be LA-SF-Sacramento-St.Louis ( I am not sure about that) - Chicago - Washington and than New Jersey, New York as I mentioned here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 68&t=96170

I am still on a students wage so I only can afford 4 weeks and will mainly have to sleep in the rental car in a sleeping bag. Trains Mags Tourist booklet makes my way as I will concentrate on railmuseums and trainspotting. The thing I am thinking about is that there is a huge fare when you rent a car in LA and give it back in NY as they have to carry it back.
Do you know any rental car companies that do not charge such fees?
Do you think it is cheaper to rent a car on WC and one on EC and taka a train or flight between them? Not so much to see then...
How do you think about sleeping in the car in the USA? Dangerous?
Which Motels are cheap but safe?

Thanks for any information that helps.
 #1042499  by Ocala Mike

I'm not an expert on this type of travel, but my tips to you are:

1. Renting a car to DRIVE across the US is not the way to go, especially if you are solo. Definitely NOT a good idea to sleep in the car.

2. Better to take the train across the country, even if you have to rough it in coach for some or all of the trip. Only rent cars locally. Try Enterprise for best rates.

3. You need to google "hostels" or "youth hostels" in the US for cheap lodging while you're on your adventure.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
 #1042502  by CP-4070

Ocala Mike wrote:I'm not an expert on this type of travel, but my tips to you are:

1. Renting a car to DRIVE across the US is not the way to go, especially if you are solo. Definitely NOT a good idea to sleep in the car.

2. Better to take the train across the country, even if you have to rough it in coach for some or all of the trip. Only rent cars locally. Try Enterprise for best rates.

3. You need to google "hostels" or "youth hostels" in the US for cheap lodging while you're on your adventure.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
I didn't mean to sleep in the car at crowded places, rather on railway museum grounds or Motel parking lots. I take it, you are talking about robberys, right?

Oh yes, if that trip is going to happen, I will post my experiences here:-)

THX. Andrew
 #1042684  by Ocala Mike

Andrew: Robberies, carjackings, and worse. Forget about sleeping in your car in the places you mentioned; only places I would even consider it are patrolled interstate rest areas.
 #1042695  by Adirondacker

Ocala Mike wrote:Andrew: Robberies, carjackings, and worse. Forget about sleeping in your car in the places you mentioned; only places I would even consider it are patrolled interstate rest areas.
One of the things they patrol for is people sleeping in their car. I don't have a cite for it but there's a three hour parking limit in rest stops in New York. Yes they check. Partly because they can't tell the difference between someone who is asleep and someone who is a half hour away from dying of alcohol poisoning. Or just had a heart attack. Most states have similar restrictions. Truck stops maybe but only maybe if you are in a car and not a truck. There's lots of cheap campsites and most states have state parks you can camp in for a reasonable fee. Most of them will require you to have a tent - you can't sleep in the car. Tents are cheap.

There's the option of Amtrak Rail Passes or Greyhound Discovery Pass and hostels. A really quick check found reasonable hostels in Chicago in the Loop and in Manhattan near the subway in decent neighborhoods. Tiny rooms and shared baths though..
 #1042717  by CP-4070

I would love to go by Amtrak but unsure to reach all the destinations and photospots. How much do Motels or Hostels charge? A friend of mine lived half a year on the beach somewhere in California in a saloon car, showered on the beach shower and got free meals from restaurants around :-) He was never robbed or asked by police.

Anyway, I will try to find some cheap accomodation. Is there something like a Week-Travelcard on Amtrak? When I choose all the jorneys on their website, it seems to become expensive although choosing a seating car.

Thx, Andrew
 #1042720  by David Benton

i did a similiar trip back in the nineties , i used mainly amtrak and a bicycle carried onboard . youth hostels are ok , but not that common , in bigger cities they tend to be ymcas or student accomodation . if you get a reail pass , you can plan to spend a good few nites on the train , sleeping in coach is ok , as long as you get off the train every 2 or 3rd day and get a shower and a good nites sleep .
 #1042731  by David Benton

When i was there , you could buy a ticket to a destination , and have 2 stopovers on the way . it worked out cheaper than a pass , ( because i was there 6 months ) , but meant you tended to do long journeys to make the most of the ticket .
For example , you could do New York to Miami , with a stopover in Seattle !. ( i never did such convoluted trips , but some made it a competition to see how many miles you could do on one ticket ).
 #1042734  by CP-4070

That sounds the way of tricky things that I need information about :-)

Maybe you can write me (in a pm if you wish) what that ticket was called and where you spend the nights for six months?

Cheers, Andrew
 #1043459  by CP-4070

I think you there is a pass called USA railpass available which would be $650 for 30 days. Is this a cheap offer compared with other fares to get around?
Cheers, Andrew
 #1043463  by David Benton

i see the 30 day pass is limited to 12 segments .
"Amtrak considers a travel segment any time you get on and then get off a vehicle (train, bus, ferry or other allowable leg) regardless of length."
so if you used the pass to cross the country 12 times ( without stopover ) it would extremley good value , if you used it on thruway buses in califionia for e.g , it would be poor value , as san diego to Sanfrancisco via the central valley would use up 3 of your segments in one day .
i dont suppose there is anything to stop you buying a ticket for any short sections , and keep the segments for long distance non stop .
 #1043758  by CP-4070

I would like to ask again where you stayed for the nights in six month as even hostels would be expensive for six months?

Cheers, Andrew