Railroad Forums 

• Former Railroads in Bolton, MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1032700  by Red Wing

I've noticed as you travel down I-495 southbound in Bolton at mile marker 69.8 there is a cut in the ledge that looks suspiciously like it's rail related. I've also noticed a depression on the northbound side that looks like it could have been a railroad row too. Any ideas?
 #1032706  by dcm74

Remnants of the Lancaster Railroad a/k/a Lancaster & Hudson. Built circa 1872-73. Ran one inspection train but never any regular service. Further information in the Central Mass book.
 #1032714  by Cosmo

Wait,... you mean another "Hampden RR," but earlier?
30 yrs earlier?
 #1032758  by edbear

You can also find parts of the Lancaster RR right-of-way in Hudson conservation land on west side of Route 85 about a mile or so north of the rotary opposite Hudson fire station, you can find it in the woods behind Emerson School in Bolton where Nashua Valley RR Club used to have a Spring train show, and 55 or so years ago a younger brother was big in Boy Scouts and on the roadway into the grounds of Scout Camp Resolute in Bolton, you could find the embankment for the line. It's been that long since I've been in to Resolute, so I don't know if things have been rearranged, but you should be able to locate the other two spots.
 #1032895  by ewh

The right of way crossed Route 117 in front of the Catholic Church west of Bolton center, diagonally left to right. You can make out a very shallow cut to the north of Route 117. In about a half mile the right of way crossed Route 117 to the south and went downhill to Lancaster on a pretty good fill. I was a scout at Resolute in the late '50's and the right of way was very evident throughout the camp. We were told that it was a trolley line. Look at the Bolton map at the UNH on-line archives and you can trace the entire line.
 #1032905  by Cosmo

ewh wrote:The right of way crossed Route 117 in front of the Catholic Church west of Bolton center, diagonally left to right. You can make out a very shallow cut to the north of Route 117. In about a half mile the right of way crossed Route 117 to the south and went downhill to Lancaster on a pretty good fill. I was a scout at Resolute in the late '50's and the right of way was very evident throughout the camp. We were told that it was a trolley line. Look at the Bolton map at the UNH on-line archives and you can trace the entire line.
Which church, Trinity or Xavier?
GE/Bing, link?
 #1032977  by neman2

Umm... it doesn't show up there, and I don't see it listed to the left.

Scroll down to the bottom and go to page 2-you will see Lancaster& Hudson listed.
 #1033294  by Rbts Stn

Took me awhile to figure out the "page 2" aspect, too. Very cool page.

But using Google map (satellite), I see what looks like a ROW North of what you've got for the Lancaster line.

It starts in the NW at 110, just North of 117, goes SE through some playing fields, starts and stops until it gets to Harvard Rd, where it's pretty clear to 495 (just south of 117). Crosses 495, goes through Camp Resolute (as edbear said and ewh confirmed), crosses 85, dives towards the SouthEast, and pretty much ends at Manning Street. That looks to my untrained eyes like what you might see from 495, as Red Wing originally suggested.
 #1033380  by The EGE

Yeah, I noted that as well. Old topo maps, though, show the ROW I marked but not that one. I assume it's modern for transmission lines.