Railroad Forums 

• Has your prototype ever been involved in a wreck or accident

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1405881  by glennk419

I have a relatively rare Proto 1000 model of Reading RDC-1 9164 which was destroyed in a collision with a gasoline tank truck in Southampton, PA on January 2, 1982. More tragically, the engineer succumbed to his injuries a few days after the crash.
 #1469286  by glennk419

I have an Athearn P42 #124 which was involved in an unfortunately fatal wreck in Florida back in 2015. I have seen this unit within the last week or two coming through Ashland, VA so it is alive and well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6gZXIumlY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1529797  by Tom6921

I have a Bachman Spectrum model of VIA F40 #6425. Today, I found out that 6425 was involved in a derailment in Manitoba. 6425 was leading when it and the trailing unit landed on its side.

So now I have THREE models of locomotives involved in accidents: 6400, 6425, and 6444.
 #1530269  by johnthefireman

I have an HO scale model of a locomotive that was built after the prototype was involved in a derailment. It's a model of a South African 15F 4-8-2 steam locomotive custom-made by a small company in Cape Town. The manufacturer asked me which particular 15F locomotive I would like, and I chose 3117, a loco which survived into preservation and which I helped to restore and have driven and fired myself. A few years ago 3117 was involved in a derailment at Cullinan after thieves had stolen the sleepers (ties). I was not on the footplate on that trip but was in the caboose acting as guard (conductor), so I was responsible for dealing with the aftermath of the accident. The prototype 3117 was not too badly damaged, but as far as I know has not yet returned to service. Ironically my own model of 3117 is also out of service at the moment and at some point I need to dismantle it and check and/or clean all the electrical connections.