Railroad Forums 

• GATX (GMTX) & LTEX Locomotives on lease to PAR

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1026484  by MEC407

I've heard variations of this rumor from three separate sources who are unconnected with eachother: PAR may soon be acquiring some additional GP40s for the fleet. There is disagreement among the sources over whether these will be leased or purchased, but all three sources said they would be coming from GATX Locomotive Group (reporting marks GMTX and/or LLPX).
 #1026774  by Highball

It was recently reported from the MM & A Railfan group, that PAR has bought 5 GP-40's and will lease them to NBSR, the first two headed East are GMTX 3004 / 3005.
 #1026786  by MEC407

#1026820  by jaymac

Never one to resist the obvious rim/cheap shot posting:
PAR/S -- The Line Where 40-Series Power Goes to Retire!
 #1026958  by MEC407

Indeed. Not sure about the 3004, but the 3005 is an original Phase I GP40 from 1966. It's almost 46 years old. For perspective, consider this: the SD26s were about 25 years old when Guilford bought them. They were completely rebuilt in the mid-'70s to like-new condition, so you could even consider them to have been the equivalent of 10-12 years old when GTI acquired them.
 #1028394  by BowdoinStation

I take it that the dozen or so, GP40's that are on the 'deadline' are better of staying that way, and well beyond the realm of repairing ? Wasn't the 509 revived to life after a four or five year vacation on the Waterville deadline ? I know there are some GP40's that have ten years or over being out-of-service up there in Maine.
 #1028397  by MEC407

It's also possible that the GP40s in the deadline have already been so heavily cannibalized (to support the rest of the fleet) that PAR no longer has enough spare parts bring six of those dead units back to operable condition. Even though many of them may have an outward appearance that looks mostly complete, it's very possible that some of them are empty or nearly empty inside.

Important items like traction motors and power assemblies are usually the first to be removed for use in other units, followed by bigger (and equally important) items such as generators, air compressors, turbos, and whole engine blocks.