Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#803203  by JoshKarpoff

#831084  by Tony Clifton

jnewman wrote:I vaguely remember from the stone ages that there was once an underground passage between somewhere in the 34th Street/Herald Square subway station/PATH complex and Penn Station or the 7th Ave subway there. Or am I just delusional? (as is more likely :-D )
If there really was such a beastie, when and why was it closed?
There was a passage between 42nd Street and 34th Street Herald Square on the 6th Avenue line. There was no 6th to 7th Avenue connection unless one of those guys on Subchat lied to you about it.
 #832722  by Wallyhorse

jnewman wrote:I vaguely remember from the stone ages that there was once an underground passage between somewhere in the 34th Street/Herald Square subway station/PATH complex and Penn Station or the 7th Ave subway there. Or am I just delusional? (as is more likely :-D )
If there really was such a beastie, when and why was it closed?
Tony Clifton wrote:There was a passage between 42nd Street and 34th Street Herald Square on the 6th Avenue line. There was no 6th to 7th Avenue connection unless one of those guys on Subchat lied to you about it.
Yes, there was a passageway on 32nd between 6th and 7th Avenues (I remember because I used it once in 1980) that was closed off in the early '80s because of crime problems I believe. As noted above, they are looking at re-opening that passageway that originally was intended for Gimbels shoppers to get to Penn Station without having to go above ground.
 #848158  by nyrmetros

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/20 ... _on_p.html

The transit improvements would give Pennsylvania Station, the busiest U.S. commuter rail hub, underground connections to the Sixth Avenue subway and Port Authority Trans-Hudson rail stations, Greenbaum said. Vornado would widen the old “Gimbels Passageway,” named after the defunct department store, which he said was closed in 1986 because of security problems.
The new walkway would be built to the quality of “the elegant and efficient passageways at Grand Central and Rockefeller Center,” and would serve the additional travelers expected once New Jersey Transit has completed a new rail tunnel into the area, scheduled for 2018, Greenbaum said.
 #1020308  by hi55us

nyrmetros wrote:Have there been any updates on this plan?
I've heard nothing... although on saturday I got off an M train in Herald Square, cut through JC Penny and the Mahattan mall (very easy if you get off at the south end of the platform) and walked 1/2 a block to Penn Station. Pretty east to do.
 #1020880  by keyboardkat

I remember using that passageway around 1978. All the store windows were blacked out. I didn't realize that they were all Gimbels windows. I thought they were all individual small stores that had gone out of business. And I remember the homeless woman who was sitting on some kind of box, but leaning way over to the side, and asking passersby to help her straighten up. Nobody did, including me.

But I have vague memories of being taken through there as a child, when the store windows were open and full of merchandise. As I said, they are vague. Maybe I'm making this up.