Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Heritage Units.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1019113  by NSDash9

waldwickrailfan wrote:NS "1894" (ES44AC) is in Southern paint.
No, it is not. That is a photoshopped image that someone has done. None of the new SD70ACe or ES44AC units have been completed and delivered.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com
Also visit the NSDash9 facebook page for the latest updates
 #1019119  by blockline4180

workextra wrote:We all have our favorite roads and schemes we'd like to see, but Ill be grateful with what ever NS does. Too much rivet counting and complaining from the "fans" are a turn off to the railroad. Support the NS program as is. We want to encourage such programs to be maintained even after the celebrations have ended, A modern twist on old colors who cares, It's something.
no complaints from me!!!

Agreed!!
 #1019144  by MEC407

Who's complaining? I think Otto even prefaced his question with a statement that he was not complaining.
 #1019506  by spoony1999

Sad they decided not to do an Illinois Terminal unit. I know Respondek did an SD40-2 a couple years ago and the new Illini Terminal unit exists in Litchfield, IL but it would be cool to see an IT scheme on a modern unit
 #1019569  by emd_SD_60

Cool, maybe I will get to see a few thru Carbondale when the Mid-America Corridor gets underway.
 #1019768  by NJTRailfan

Glad to see that a CNJ and Lackawanna will be done. Can't wait for that nice Statue of Liberty Scheme with the yellow and green stripes to come through Central NJ again. Would love it even more if ran to Steamtown and they had the ex CNJ Coaches along with the combi behind it. Compare that to a GP-7 of that pulling 6 coach cars to Allentown out of CNJ's Jersey City Terminal.

With the Lackawanna, Once the Cutoff is FINALLY DONE they can run that and the EL locomotive as an innagural locomotives with the EL Dining Car consist.
 #1019815  by Matt Langworthy

Scot, I think he was being sarcastic. Some folks are skeptical of the report(s) regarding the heritage units because there is no corresponding information on the official NS website. I think they're gonna happen, but I'm just a railfan.
 #1019864  by ns3010

I heard that, unlike the UP units, in addition to more original schemes, the units will NOT receive special numbers, and will be in the normal NS numbering series.

They are supposedly coming sometime in the spring.
 #1019887  by blockline4180

I have a couple friends that know Wick Moorman personally and he said this is happening!! If Wick is yanking our chain then we have problems!!

I don't think the DL&W or CNJ units are definate, but Wick had mentioned that they are "looking into it"!
 #1020414  by Otto Vondrak

blockline4180 wrote:I have a couple friends that know Wick Moorman personally and he said this is happening!!!
Can you name those people? I only ask because so far we've had very little verifiable information (other than the ELDCPS' mention that they were involved in some EL/Erie color and graphics research).

I'm not complaining, I'd love to see this, but if indeed it is happening, why hasn't NS announced it officially?

-otto-
 #1020460  by njmidland

Otto,

The people we dealt with were from the logical departments and fairly well up the maintenance chain. We went public because it appeared the Trains news story was an NS release but as you say NS has yet to release the story so I think we should hold back on further details until NS goes public. My guess is they won't until one or more of the units are painted.
 #1020493  by blockline4180

njmidland wrote:Otto,

The people we dealt with were from the logical departments and fairly well up the maintenance chain. We went public because it appeared the Trains news story was an NS release but as you say NS has yet to release the story so I think we should hold back on further details until NS goes public. My guess is they won't until one or more of the units are painted.

Thanks, much appreciated Tim!

Regards,
Steve
 #1020954  by workextra

"With the Lackawanna, Once the Cutoff is FINALLY DONE they can run that and the EL locomotive as an inaugural locomotives with the EL Dining Car consist."

Now that's just fitting to Miss Phoebe Snow who's road was decimated.
Regardless if the unit is painted as EL, D&LW or both. The ELDCPS trains and a Modern diesel in true Lackawanna colors is just the site to see.

Truth is that the unit would probably be painted back to dress black long before the cutoff is completed to Slatford Jct. I hope I'm wrong.
either way the Ex Phoebe tavern lounges BELONG at all cost to the ELDCPS it's only a given that MNCR donates them to the rightful society. Or restores them to EL colors in cooperation with the society for use on their train.
 #1021018  by GulfRail

I'm surprised by the sheer number of heritage units NS has decided to do (although to accurately depict the various shades of red used by the Lehigh Valley, they'd need twice as many :wink:), and I'm also surprised that NS has decided to do heritage units for the NYC and NH, which are usually considered CSX Predecessors, not Norfolk Southern ones. Nevertheless, it should be interesting to see fallen flag liveries on the sides of a locomotive again, let alone a high-horsepower AC locomotive.

(I sure hope Pan Am does a McGinnis-era GP9 for their heritage program. It'd look nice alongside the New Haven SD70ACe.)