Railroad Forums 

• Heart Of Georgia (HOG)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1013658  by Jeff Smith

I want to make sure I'm clear on this; the Heart of Georgia HOG is the portion of the line from Cordele/Albany to Vidalia, and the Georgia Central GC is the portion east of Dublin through Claxton to Savannah, right? The HOG from Dublin then continues north over OOS out of service track to Swainsboro and Midville. From Dublin going west the Georgia Central cuts up north under 16 and runs along that direction to Macon, right?

How busy is the Hog?
 #1014276  by G&Fman

The GC runs from Macon (under I-16) to Dublin to Vidalia to Claxton to Savannah. The HOG runs from Plains area to Americus to Cordele to Vidalia where it connects with the GC, then potentially north from Vidalia to connect with their Midville - Swainsboro/Kirby line.

If I'm not mistaken, the HOG runs a train 2 or 3 times a week from Cordele to Rochelle and back, then another on the Americus-Cordele section. I think that same train will run west from Americus to Plains/Preston as needed, I'm not sure.
 #1014928  by ashley2771

GC actually has two customers on the old G&F/ HOG line just north of Vidalia... Choo-Choo supply gets centerbeams of lumber (at least they used to) and Atlantic Industries makes poles and expanded their plant a few years ago... they track are impassable just north of Atlantic all they way to Kirby...
 #1398175  by Jeff Smith

The "HOG" is getting some more business from Kia via Cordele: JOC.com
Kia deal hints at greater potential for inland port network feeding Savannah
According to the terms of the agreement announced earlier this month, Kia auto parts that have always moved through the port of Savannah will now reach the Kia plant by first travelling via short line rail — via the Heart of Georgia Railroad and Georgia Central Railroad — to the Cordele Inland Terminal. Those parts will then move via motor carrier to Kia’s plant in West Point, Georgia, some two hours away.
 #1399824  by Jeff Smith

Just the other day, I had the "pleasure" of driving I-16 towards Macon. As we crossed over the OOS portion of the HOG near Swainsboro (and the US1 exit) I noticed that the line had been cleared, and it looks like fresh ballast was laid. Any news? I did find this thread, but it's a few years old:

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Douglas_to_Swainsboro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1411719  by ashley2771

They've cleared it, but I think they ran out of money to fully rehab it all the way to Vidalia. They also rehabbed some on the end coming out of Vidalia.
 #1423245  by Jeff Smith

Guess who's coming to dinner? Genesee and Wyoming: Dry Bulk Magazine
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. has agreed to acquire the shares of Atlantic Western Transportation Inc., parent company of Heart of Georgia Railroad Inc. (HOG). Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed. The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of US Surface Transportation Board approval, and is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2017.

HOG was founded in 1999 and operates across the state of Georgia on 219 miles of track leased from the Georgia Department of Transportation. It connects with G&W’s Georgia Southwestern Railroad at Americus, Ga., and with G&W’s Georgia Central Railway at Vidalia, Ga. HOG serves an inland intermodal terminal at Cordele, Ga., providing five-day/week, direct rail service via the Georgia Central Railway to the Port of Savannah for auto, agricultural products and other merchandise customers. HOG has Class I railroad connections with CSX at Cordele and with Norfolk Southern at Americus and Helena, Georgia, US.

HOG transports approximately 10 000 annual carloads of agricultural products, feed, fertilizer, and lumber and forest products, of which approximately 2000 carloads are interchanged with G&W’s Georgia Central Railway. Following the acquisition, HOG will be managed as one of G&W’s Coastal Region railroads, led by Senior Vice President Andy Chunko.

“The Heart of Georgia is an excellent bolt-on acquisition that we expect will enhance economic development by providing an efficient lane across southern Georgia,” Chunko said. “Its proximity to other G&W railroads unlocks operational efficiencies, while enhancing the railroads’ abilities to serve customers and generate new commercial opportunities across the region.

“We look forward to the 15 HOG employees joining those at our connecting railroads and working with our Class I partners to expand HOG’s recent success in driving more traffic onto rail in Georgia and Florida,” Chunko continued. “We also look forward to broadening our already strong relationship with the Georgia Department of Transportation and Georgia Ports Authority, in a state where we have established a significant long-term presence, operating 11 railroads over more than 600 track miles.”
 #1423401  by litz

This means an immediate halt to all NARCOA excursions on this line (which is a shame; some beautiful territory there), and the future of the SAM Shortline excursion train is also unknown.

OTOH, it also means a straight shot, now, for car parts (and finished cars) from the southwest GA auto plants, to/from Port of Savannah.
 #1489388  by CSX455

Cordele, Georgia will sponsor a Rain Fan Festival on November 10, 2018. Activities will be held at the Cordele Railroad Museum and Visitor Center near the Railroad Diamond in downtown Cordele.

Activities planned are: Ribbon cutting for the Museum, activities for kids, food vendors, Model Railroad displays and short excursion train rides on Sam Short Line Railroad.

The main focus will be for rail fans to watch the 70 trains a day which cross the Diamond.

Cordele is planning to build a observation platform with park facilities at the Diamond in the coming years. Local Option sale tax monies have been dedicated to this project.
 #1489663  by CSX455

Cordele, Georgia will sponsor a Rain Fan Festival on November 10, 2018. Activities will be held at the Cordele Railroad Museum and Visitor Center near the Railroad Diamond in downtown Cordele.

Activities planned are: Ribbon cutting for the Museum, activities for kids, food vendors, Model Railroad displays and short excursion train rides on Sam Short Line Railroad.

The main focus will be for rail fans to watch the 70 trains a day which cross the Diamond.

Cordele is planning to build a observation platform with park facilities at the Diamond in the coming years. Local Option sale tax monies have been dedicated to this project.
 #1489709  by twropr

What runs on the HOG between Cordele and Americus and when? How many days/week?
Are the lines between Richland and Americus, and between Dawson and Albany also HOG? What run on them?
Thanks!
Andy
 #1489762  by CSX455

What runs on the HOG between Cordele and Americus and when? How many days/week?
Are the lines between Richland and Americus, and between Dawson and Albany also HOG? What run on them?
Thanks!
Andy

There is a weekly ( maybe bi-weekly) run of lumber from a sawmill in Preston Ga which I think is fed to CSX in Cordele.

There is a lot of OSB board manufactured in Cordele which is also fed to CSX in Cordele.

There is a connection with NS in Americus which probably moves Ethanol to a gasoline dealer in Americus.

There is a railcar repair facility between Americus and Plains, they have a lot of cars on their yard. Probably most come from NS in Americus.

I think the line ends at Preston, with the track going further west is inactive.

Georgia Southwestern RR from Dawson to Albany it is not HOG, but , I think operated by the same parent company, Genesee & Wyoming.

Of course, Sam Shortline runs excursion trips on HOG on Fridays and Saturdays.
 #1507207  by CSX455

Sam Shortline Railroad will travel to St. Mark’s A.M.E. Church near Archery, Ga. on May 4th to join in with the Church’s 16th Annual Archery May Day Festival.

The Festival has many activities scheduled throughout the day, to include games, hayrides, Old Time Demonstrations, bingo, singing and many other activities

The train will arrive midday to participate in the Plait of the Maypole and depart after a short layover traveling back to Georgia Veteran’s State Park.

Come and ride SAM.

Conductor Al