Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1008505  by BR4

I would like to see the original MEC Forest Green with the 3 stripes, especially since
PAR has already done a Simplified Green scheme. It would be cool to see that and
573 back to back, just like the old MEC days. If PAR does, in fact, turn out a blue
bird, all the original schemes would be represented, except the blue dip.

BTW, CSRR has done their own wheels in the past. I remember they turned a bad
wheel on 573 4 or 5 years ago. They send the big jobs out, but one or two wheels
they can do in house.
 #1009032  by steamer69

I was of the same thought process as you Mike, I thought they always had to send everything out to be turned. Guess they have gotten one of those little track mounted wheel lathes.

By they way, word on the street is that CSRX will be looking for a new track foreman. I guess CSRX doesn't like people stealing time.
 #1009421  by steamer69

miketrainnut wrote:I can't believe he made it as long as he did.

You and everyone else who knows anything about track. Maybe next time CSRX won't hire someone with no experience into a management position. You don't just put someone right off the street and into the street when they don't have any experience.....
 #1009825  by D.Carleton

#7470 wrote:I was talking with Paul yesterday and he said it [the rebuildIng of 4268] will happen. He's very excited to have a new set of working F sisters in the future.
From what I have read on this board the donor is to be a GP-7/9. Many moons ago a group in PA rebuilt a former BAR F-3 using the guts of a CF-7. As I look through the haze of all these past years I seem to remember the reason for using a former F-unit was because the primemover/generator set-up is different than that of a GP. As I said, this was many years ago and I could be mistaken. If not, has this been acounted for?
 #1010411  by steamer69

D.Carleton wrote:From what I have read on this board the donor is to be a GP-7/9. Many moons ago a group in PA rebuilt a former BAR F-3 using the guts of a CF-7. As I look through the haze of all these past years I seem to remember the reason for using a former F-unit was because the primemover/generator set-up is different than that of a GP. As I said, this was many years ago and I could be mistaken. If not, has this been acounted for?
There shouldn't be too much of an issue with everything fitting into the frame craddle. There are a couple of small differences, but for the most part they should be able to just swap everything out....if they get the people to do it....or spend more "mystery money" to hire it done. That won't come cheep.....
 #1011001  by steamer69

The money comment has nothing to do with CSRX. Maybe you should read the thread.....I was talking about 470 money to pay CSRX to do the work....since 470 doesn't have the resources to do it themselves.....
 #1011215  by Reading 900

Just thinking about....
The heart transplant to the 4268. The last time I know of this being done was when ex Bangor and Aroostock 52 or 44 (don't remember the exact number) (engine totally gutted) was given the 567 etc from a Santa Fe CF7. The actual lifts of the 19 ton prime mover were done at the former Reading steam loco shops using another CF7 to provide the electric power for the 250 ton capacity overhead crane to do the lifts. They picked up each loco and put them next to each other on side tracks in the shop. Volunteers did all the work, knowledgeable men who knew how to safely and professionally do the job. That served in tourist and freight service in Pa.for 20 years, and it is now repainted into Erie livery and in service at Steamtown on lease as a backup. No "mystery money", just people working together to get the job done right. Just like CSRR, people working together with Paul leading them doing a very good and safe job. Whenever the 4268 and 4266 are back in service, it'll be done right! Two B&M covered wagons in the Notch, awesome! The 4268B is currently at Steamtown also, operational, and is to be painted as an Erie engine to go with the others, no "mystery money" there either.