Railroad Forums 

• Newtown line leased to Montco for recreational trail

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1009075  by glennk419

Clearfield wrote:
glennk419 wrote:It was my understanding that whatever authority was responsible for removing the ROW at the Shady Lane culvert would be responsible to restore it should service ever be reinstated.
It's SEPTA.
Are you saying SEPTA installed the sewer line that led to the removal of the ROW?
 #1009232  by Clearfield

SEPTA's culvert at the base of a fill failed. Septa remediated it.
 #1009245  by limejuice

It wasn't a sewer line that was installed. What happened was the concrete culvert had collapsed, causing the creek running through it to flood, which caused extensive property damage to some nearby homes. Septa was responsible for that, of course, because they failed to maintain it. They came in and removed what was left, lined the stream banks with gabion baskets, and did some erosion control work to the remaining slopes. Shouldn't be much to come back in with a precast culvert and then backfill it. There was another much larger culvert between George School and Newtown that was actually replaced with a new one. Not sure when that was done, or by whom. Then there was the small one at Second St. Pike that had become blocked and caused flood damage to the adjacent stores. Again, they replaced it, sans rails and ties.

Fwiw, I use the trail frequently in the summer. In good weather, you might encounter a couple dozen others along the way. I think the trail could coexist with the railroad given some excavation/filling/rerouting, and of course a fence. See: WMSR, LGSR.
 #1009459  by glennk419

Gentlemen, thanks for the clarification on the breach at Shady Lane. My comment about the three people on the trail was very tongue in cheek although I still preferred to hike the ROW when the rails were still in.
 #1009653  by jfrey40535

The future of the Pennypack trail was discussed in great detail by DVRPC's Regional Citizens Committee before it was closed down last summer. One committee member mapped out existing trails in the area and discovered there is a better, existing, though undeveloped trail that could tie in with other trails and connect Lorimer Park to the Delaware River via Holmesburg, and Mason's Mill park in Upper Moreland, without using any part of SEPTA's railroad. The existing fair-weather trail-to-nowhere is a poor alignment that will never go anywhere. Its blocked to the north by a missing bridge and the R3, and to the south by the missing culvert. The only obstacle to restoring service here is Abington's self-serving NIMBYs, not the trail itself.
http://newtownline.pa-tec.org/documents ... ailMap.jpg
 #1061047  by bikentransit

A friend of mine said a group of people were handing out fliers on the 4th of July in Southampton asking people to support a rails-to-trails project on the Newtown line in Southampton and Northampton. They have a website and facebook page:
http://www.buildourtrail.org

Given the recent history, I don't see why SEPTA wouldn't hand the line over. Trail NIMBYs are probably an obstacle.
 #1061066  by 25Hz

This trail is not going to happen. All the monto & bucks municipalities & elected officials are waiting for the state funding to fall into line. Unlike in previous efforts this has been a continuous effort to get re-activation since 2008. If Obama gets re-elected it will get re-activated.
 #1061111  by bikentransit

Is there something in the air tonight?

I've been watching that Newtown movement for some time now, and your comments are the funniest thing I've ever heard. You should do a stand-up job somewhere on Friday nights. Maybe a railfan comedy caberet somewhere.
 #1061197  by Pacobell73

25Hz wrote:This trail is not going to happen. All the monto & bucks municipalities & elected officials are waiting for the state funding to fall into line. Unlike in previous efforts, this has been a continuous effort to get re-activation since 2008. If Obama gets re-elected it will get re-activated.
Hi 25Hz. I agree that the trail is not going to happen given that the Commonwealth and Feds are broke beyond belief, coupled with a NIMBY-heavy area. And there is little question that an all-out campaign was launced in 2008 that have elevated the high profile line to almost mythical status. However, despite solid support, nothing came of it. Just curious why you (or anyone, actually) would think if President Obama gets reelected that the line will be reactivated.
 #1061340  by dreese_us

Who is this new group out there? Last thing we need is more rail pulled up! My son brought me the handout from the parade, their website seems to be stirring a little interest.
 #1061602  by trackwelder

nice, a bike trail will TOTALLY reduce congestion on 332, street road and bustleton ave.
 #1061616  by bikentransit

I could see it. Doesn't that line connect to the old R3 line somewhere? If the trail goes that far, bikers could ride to the train, on nice days anyway. I wonder if they'd connect to the trail that's already in place? That gets you to Fox Chase, and they have bike racks there. I've been taking my collapsable bike on trains & subways for years, so its a valid selling point.
 #1061625  by Clearfield

The line actually crosses (or crossed) the West Trenton line just south of Bethayres.
 #1061636  by trackwelder

bikentransit wrote:I could see it. Doesn't that line connect to the old R3 line somewhere? If the trail goes that far, bikers could ride to the train, on nice days anyway. I wonder if they'd connect to the trail that's already in place? That gets you to Fox Chase, and they have bike racks there. I've been taking my collapsable bike on trains & subways for years, so its a valid selling point.

people who commute from newtown or south hampton to philly for work in the morning do not ride their bikes. getting on the el at 69th st and off at city hall is one thing; can you see a guy in a suit or a women in a dress pedaling their huffy 35 miles? in january?
 #1061687  by AlexC

Merged the more recent Newtown line thread into this one.
I urge everyone to read through this thread before commenting to catch up and to prevent rehashing.