Railroad Forums 

• Dream models that you hope will be manufactured

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1001805  by Otto Vondrak

dogsboss wrote:New Haven Electrics, All or any EP-, EF,- Or EY,- Models except the GE Products, in plastic or resin; i.e. reasonably priced. Esp EP-2, -3, -4, EF-1, -3. would be very nice!
Before I get too much older!
Brass, brass, brass. Been imported many times over the years in many scales. Be prepared to pay $250 and up. Never in plastic, and I can only imagine what "reasonably priced" means to you since most mass-produced diesel models in HO start at $100 list price.

You can always import one of these GE "EP-4's" from Brazil (though I don't know why they think NYC operated these engines):

http://www.frateschi.com.br/produtos/v8_eng.php

Bachmann Spectrum made a New Haven E-33 in HO scale a few years ago, so no need to "dream" about that one anymore. I've seen em on eBay for as low as $75.

-otto-
 #1001806  by Otto Vondrak

Desertdweller wrote:Thanks! I designed the Union Station portion of the railroad from the perspective of someone standing in the South Platte River.

I like your Union Station. Have you seen they make the sign that goes atop the station?

http://www.microstru.com/3881.html

-otto-
 #1001849  by Desertdweller

Thanks, Otto!

I remembered seeing that advertised once, but couldn't remember where or by who. Could find only an HO version at Walthers.

I'll put it on my list of things to buy in 2012.

I scratchbuilt mine, using a plastic doily(!) and stick-on vynal lettering. Not real authentic, but as close as the rest of the building (couldn't find the lettering in red).

Les
 #1002105  by kevin.brackney

Why is it that it is so easy to find good models of geared locomotives of various builders and models, yet I have never seen any examples of Baldwin 90 Ton 2-8-2 locos, i.e. YW 19; McCRRR 18; CC&C 15, etc? It was common enough, at least in the western states.
 #1003171  by Otto Vondrak

Desertdweller wrote:I remembered seeing that advertised once, but couldn't remember where or by who. Could find only an HO version at Walthers.
HO: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/502-3881

N: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/502-3882
 #1007764  by Otto Vondrak

SodorAdventures wrote: Do you know where I can find an AEM-7, you live in White Plain, I see, Anywhere on Long Island (By me) that would have em. You said you'll see them pop up once in a while. Just wondering. Thanks
Try the eBay. There's a whole bunch listed on there right now. If not, try giving a call to Willis Hobbies or Train Land or Train World and see if they can hunt one down for you if they don't already have some tucked away in the back.

-otto-
 #1008074  by Earle Baldwin

Mentioned earlier in the thread, brass models of several classes of HO New Haven electrics have been released over the years. A few of the earlier pieces are pictured in the following link:

http://newhavenrailroad1959.webs.com/electrics.htm

As an O gauger, in an earlier post I mentioned Sunset had announced a brass model of the New York Central T-motor. Priced at about $500 (quite reasonable for an O scale brass locomotive of high quality), you'd think there wouldn't be a problem with sufficient orders being placed. Wrong. Sunset has announced the project is on hold due to low pre-orders. There have been numerous requests for the T-motor on various O scale sites but it doesn't make a difference if enough folks aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is when they have to.
 #1008977  by chrisnewhaven

I don't even bother with Brass Models in O-gauge, because they are either upwards of $1000 or on pre-order and it'll take who knows how long before its shipped. I'd like an EP-3 in O gauge, so I'm looking for a GG-1 chassis I can build it on. When in doubt, scratch build!
C.J.V.
 #1009376  by chrisnewhaven

It's 3-rail, but with 0-36 curves and a trackplan that would require major restructuting to fit even 0-42 curves, so for now my passenger equipment is scaled down to 60ft length and locomotives are undersized (with the exception of 2 FA-1's, an RS-3, FT, and Railking PA's which are only an inch or so short from being scale). For a GG-1 chassis that limits me to postwar Lionel and reproductions of them, although since my passenger cars in proportion everything looks right. When I saw the MTH EP-3 it was amazing, then I saw the curve radius :( Right now I'm building a 60 ft version of an Osgood Bradely coach, just finished modifying the plans to get it to look in proportion.
C.J.V.
 #1009529  by Desertdweller

How about a couple of injection-molded baggage/lounge or baggage/cafe cars, in N-scale? Two models would be needed, a streamlined smooth-side car and a streamlined corrugated car.

Or, perhaps, a coach-cafe, or diner-observation in the above styles?

Les
 #1009715  by CNJ999

Earle Baldwin wrote:Mentioned earlier in the thread, brass models of several classes of HO New Haven electrics have been released over the years. A few of the earlier pieces are pictured in the following link:

http://newhavenrailroad1959.webs.com/electrics.htm

As an O gauger, in an earlier post I mentioned Sunset had announced a brass model of the New York Central T-motor. Priced at about $500 (quite reasonable for an O scale brass locomotive of high quality), you'd think there wouldn't be a problem with sufficient orders being placed. Wrong. Sunset has announced the project is on hold due to low pre-orders. There have been numerous requests for the T-motor on various O scale sites but it doesn't make a difference if enough folks aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is when they have to.
I would anticipate that this lack of subscribers/pre-orders for Sunset's model are a result of the poor and questionable economy we've experienced over the past few years, as a $500 price tag for an O-gauge locomotive of any sort is downright dirt cheap. Similarly, I've noticed over on eBay the past couple of months that many really nice, formerly high-end, HO brass engines are selling for (not just listing at) prices similar to their high-end plastic counterparts...some going for even less! I personally just picked up a New Haven L-1 2-10-2 for one half the going street price these models commanded just two years ago and another sold the same week for slightly less than that!

CNJ999