Railroad Forums 

• *** SHARE YOUR MODEL RAILROAD ACTION PHOTOS

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#989211  by Cosmo

Remember what I posted earlier about backdrops: it needn't be elaborate or even permanent! Just a flat piece of poster board painted blue (with a few white accents here and there) and you're good. Make it light and portable as possible and you can move it to the back of whatever location you're using. :wink:
 #989260  by green_elite_cab

jwhite07 wrote:You considering stringing catenary at some point in the future, Chris? That would add to the scene big-time.
I REALLY need a backdrop......
I REALLY need a layout!! :-)

I always talk myself out of finishing the catenary. The layout if fine to stage photos on, but I'm not sure it would be worth it to continue. Then again, this layout will be all I have for the forseable future. I was thinking of just building a module with some wire on it, but thats not very exciting either.

If the layout was a 4x8 with tight curves, I may have continued.
 #991219  by Montrealrail

again improving my layout
I recently painted the walls,in blue,make change from the yellow colour it was before,making better background colour,and may be adding some trees belongs the trackside,to simulate a forest and something like that..

I have a new end side,a bit bigger,letting me a space of 4 feet by 5 feet and half to put some company and a litte yard,also,a new train station will be added
here's the new station,while I was assembling it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQT1r313pCk
 #993776  by Desertdweller

Here are some pictures of passenger train action on my Denver Union Terminal Railroad. It is in N-scale, and features operations at Denver Union Station around 1960.

The Colorado Eagle uses a Life-Like E-8 and Con-Cor cars.

The Mountaineer uses a Life-Like PA-1 and Lima cars custom painted by Bev-Bel.

Les
Attachments:
MP's "Colorado Eagle" arrives from St. Louis.
MP's "Colorado Eagle" arrives from St. Louis.
Colorado Eagle (1).jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 6999 times
"Mountaineer" was one of the last trains to use an open platform obs.
"Mountaineer" was one of the last trains to use an open platform obs.
Mountaineer (2).jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 6999 times
D&RGW "Mountaineer" for Grand Junction loads passengers at the Denver Union Station.
D&RGW "Mountaineer" for Grand Junction loads passengers at the Denver Union Station.
Mountaineer (1).jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 6999 times
 #1003166  by Otto Vondrak

green_elite_cab wrote:I REALLY need a backdrop......
A white sheet, a large piece of mat board with a white color, a large piece of paper... anything to hide what's behind your layout. :-)

-otto-
 #1004975  by FiatFan

We had a rare mild January day here in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Rare in that there was no snow on the ground and the temperature reached a high of 64 sunny degrees. With that combination, I had no option but to dig out the outdoor train. 15 minutes of setup and track cleaning and I was able to sit in the sun like an old lizard and enjoy the trains.

Tom
 #1004977  by green_elite_cab

Otto Vondrak wrote:
green_elite_cab wrote:I REALLY need a backdrop......
A white sheet, a large piece of mat board with a white color, a large piece of paper... anything to hide what's behind your layout. :-)

-otto-
The trouble i tend to have is that my layout is an "island". Its difficult to cover all portions of it. I've thought about using some sort of temporary foam core or something that i can just clamp onto the sides when necessary, but I just haven't had any time to work on any of it. I used to hang up blue sheets, but that was a pain, since if the picture wasn't facing towards a wall, i'd have to hang it on ladders and it a pain the the butt.

Any future layout I build is going to be along a wall or at least covered on as many sides as i can reasonably squeeze in.
 #1005584  by Otto Vondrak

green_elite_cab wrote:I've thought about using some sort of temporary foam core or something that i can just clamp onto the sides when necessary, but I just haven't had any time to work on any of it.
Two Quick-grip clamps and a large piece of white foamcore is all you need... :-) Move the foamcore anywhere you need to when you're taking a picture,
 #1005601  by green_elite_cab

Otto Vondrak wrote:
green_elite_cab wrote:I've thought about using some sort of temporary foam core or something that i can just clamp onto the sides when necessary, but I just haven't had any time to work on any of it.
Two Quick-grip clamps and a large piece of white foamcore is all you need... :-) Move the foamcore anywhere you need to when you're taking a picture,
there aren't any convenient places to clamp the foam core!
 #1009910  by Otto Vondrak

green_elite_cab wrote:there aren't any convenient places to clamp the foam core!
Have someone help you to hold it up. There's always a solution.

-otto-
 #1013064  by Cosmo

FiatFan wrote:We had a rare mild January day here in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Rare in that there was no snow on the ground and the temperature reached a high of 64 sunny degrees. With that combination, I had no option but to dig out the outdoor train. 15 minutes of setup and track cleaning and I was able to sit in the sun like an old lizard and enjoy the trains.

Tom
Same here! (Only, not as warm.. low 50's.)
If it's HALF as nice tomorrow, I'll try to get some pics. :wink:
 #1030460  by alexandre181

Hello

This is somes pictures of my personal layout in Ho scale(I just have building, I don't put the scene)
It's not lot of pictures, but It show some activities on my layout.
I make a detail list of all my engines(4axles and 6axles separately) and my freight cars (detail by categories; box car, hopper grain, hopper coal etc.)
If you want to see my list, just to send me a private message.

I used atlas #6 switches almost all industrial packs and yard tracks and Main line crossover are in atlas #8 switches.(I'm in double main line). I have curves between 24 radius(in some packs) and 38 radius(on 1 of 4 Main Line curves)

This is surely not the best layout you seen ever, but I have lot of fun as that.

Thank you
Alex