Railroad Forums 

• Burned RDC in Atlantic City

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1002303  by glennk419

I came across this on eBay today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENNSYLVANIA-RE ... 27c1cb7068.

I knew about the two RDC's that were destroyed in the Camden enginehouse fire but never heard of another having burned in Atlantic City. From what's left of the lettering, it was an original PRSL RDC, not one of the CNJ cars that ran down here at the end. Does anyone know what number it was and the circumstances of its' demise?
 #1002338  by JJMDiMunno

===Reposted here from SJRA for the sake of distribution of information===

The RDC in question is PRSL M406. The condition you see it in was the results of it being set on fire in Atlantic City by vandals.

What you cannot see in the photo is the condition of the opposite side of the car, northbound leading side. M406 was involved in a grade crossing collision on August 26, 1980 at Berlin while running as train 352 northbound from Cape May to Lindenwold. It struck a glass-laden truck at track speed resulting in significant damage to the northbound running side of the car, though you cannot see it at all in the photo.

The car was towed to Atlantic City for storage after the incident and was slated to be repaired as the damage was not crippling to the car, until vandals set it aflame just a short time later.

A friend of mine retrieved the throttle control from the burned out car in 1983 before it was scrapped onsite.

Mike DiMunno
SJRA / SJRail.com
 #1033252  by glennk419

I'm a little delayed in responding but Thanks, Mike. Now that you mention it, I can see what appears to be a gaping hole in the cab area of the unseen side of the car.