Railroad Forums 

• What happened to this forum?

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#890003  by bluedash2

What a shame. Just wanted to know why this forum isn't even thought of anymore? This got abandoned quicker than some of S Jersey's rail lines. I know PRSL was a small operation in the grand scheme of things but has a big following. Is there another forum somewhere else? If there is, I don't see the point of having another one when there aleady is one here, on a popular site. Again, what a shame.
 #895485  by Steam man

bluedash2 wrote:What a shame......
I agree. It has become a late forum. This forum is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It 's a stiff! Bereft of life, It rests in peace! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-FORUM!!
 #895490  by JJMDiMunno

The forum is still here folks, obviously - we're looking at it. It just needs someone to post something to it.

In all honesty, ever since the inception of the PRSLHS 3 years ago, this forum has taken a steady hit. Almost everything that was at one time posted or discussed here is now discussed there.

Mike DiMunno
 #899900  by mitch kennedy

well here ya go.. Scanned a buncha stuff...see how many attachments fit. The PRSL HS forum is nice, but not much except minutiae regarding the finer technical points. Plus this site has Steam Man!!!! Here ya go... Nick and the spare conductor walking to Grillo's for lunch in '78-they'd park 91 right there. When the track was good for 50, there was plentyplenty of time! Next, CM91 at Pine Valley, at the crossing. Just miossed CA 295 with the 6024 slogging up the hill! ( in 75), and under CR, in 79 splitting the Pine Valley signals headed upgrade.
Mitch
 #903262  by bluedash2

Mitch, great pics as usual! I think it's safe to say you're the only one with pics from that time period-late PRSL/early CR. Keep 'em coming. Just wondering, did you ever get pics of the 'ol 38's after they were painted blue?
 #922913  by David

Nice pictures!----Post some more--please.
 #948064  by Noel Weaver

This was not territory that I ever worked or qualified over but I had more interest in the PRSL then in the old PRR over a long period of time. This dates back to 1956 with a couple of train rides from New Haven to Philadelphia and then the Bridge Line to Camden. OH what a sight to see black smoke coming from the yard and engine terminal at Camden and my visits there were always rewarding in every fashion. I did not do much with photography during that period but what memories. One Friday visit resulted in information that a K-4 would be making a run to Atlantic City out of Camden that afternoon. A check of timetables resulted in the information that I could ride that train to AC and still return that evening for a return to New York and finally New Haven where I could return to my parents home in Waterbury. I think the train only stopped at Absecon before the Atlantic City terminus. The return was diesel powered and direct to 30th Street, Philadelphia. I don't think I ever rode the line again in steam but I did it a good number of times with both diesel powered trains as well as Budd Cars. My first trip to Cape May was on the PRSL with Budd Cars again out of 30th Street, I think, to Cape May with a side trip to Wildwood which provided me with an interesting day of railroading. At Cape May I took a Public Service Bus up to Ocean City in order to ride that branch as well, another great day.
I guess the most remembered trips were in the Conrail days in the summers of 1979, 1980 and 1981. An early morning rise at home in New York and Amtrak to Philadelphia mostly on train 61 the Montrealer and breakfast in the diner. A close connection to the 10:00 AM departure from Lindenwold was the next step. Subway service in Philadelphia on weekends and especially on Sundays was not always frequent and once or twice I ended up taking a cab to the PATCO station at 16th and Locust in order to insure that I would make it to Lindenwold in time for the 10:00 AM departure. Then the adventure really began, I usually rode to Cape May and some of the time I returned from Cape May as well and sometimes I would take a bus up to Ocean City and return from there, either way it was a great day. The Budd Cars were in good shape and the ride was fast and smooth although you could see a dark cloud behind the Budd Cars between Winslow and especially Tuckahoe with the jointed rail and especially cinder ballast. We literally went like a "BAT OUT OF HELL". I would spend the day walking the beach, a good lunch and a good shore dinner and then a good train ride back. One big benefit of the Budd Cars on the PRSL was their ability to be separated and joined enroute and even 25 plus years after their arrival the railroad was still making good use of these wonderful cars.
One benefit of my working the River Line some of the time was the opportunity to obtain a Conrail Pass which was good on all Conrail operated commuter trains everywhere except in New York State and Connecticut. I also had a pass for that service too because I often worked that territory. Between the Conrail Pass and my Amtrak Pass, transportation costs for the Cape May one day weekend trip was subway in New York, subway or taxi plus PATCO in Philadelphia. When 1982 came I felt really bad because I now had a job which worked many weekends and the PRSL trains to Cape May had been taken off.
For the past few days I have been re-reading my collection of employee and public timetables, two hard cover books and four soft covered books. Enough reading to keep me ocupied for a bit.
I also rode to Atlantic City a few times but this was not as good as I had to take an "ugh" bus back usually direct to New York rather than Philadelphia in this case. Loads and loads of memories, I hope I didn't bore you all with this stuff.
Noel Weaver
 #981383  by mitch kennedy

Not at all, Noel. I enjoy your input on the NH and PC forums regularly. Nice to see railroaders on these forums. I hope to help keep this forum going as I scan more old negs and slides from my Jersey years....Railroading nowadays is safer but more corporat-ized and sanitized and a lot less flexible. My employer interacts with CN and ST (PanAM) daily and my job as senior agent is no cakewalk some days. Musta been nice before UMLER files, EDI, EBOL, etc. etc. So here goes some shots from 75 and 76 I recently posted on the PRSLHS server... Rather than caption each attachment: 6016 shots-MAgnolia NJ 1975 on CA299.
 #981740  by bluedash2

Mitch, always great to see your pics on this forum! Even nicer too see those last pics of when the RR used BOTH of the sidings and and the actual siding the Owens Corning itself. Been years since I (in my late 30's) saw anything resembling that at Magnolia. And unfortunatly we'll never see again as the addition of FedEx Ground to that area made sure of that - in addition to the overgrown eyesore of a hill by Commerce Dr which used to be well kept and great for catching CA-51 at Barrington.
 #981749  by JJMDiMunno

In addition to the removal of the lead which was as a result of the FedEx building, all other rail has also been removed from the former Owens property. Some of the former sidings have now been paved over and are used by motor vehicles within the property.

Mike DiMunno
SJRail.com