Railroad Forums 

• Reunion in Tuckahoe

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#837258  by Trackbolt

I had the pleasure to attend our family reunion in Tuckahoe NJ yesterday. I had not been there since 1981. Much has changed but for lack of traffic things were not nearly as bad as I had expected. The CMSL equipment was all parked on the Cape May tracks and the track from Philly to the remains of the OC branch was recently used. The restored station was as nice as the pictures I have seen . Our reunion was held in the old John DeSantis Purina feed and grain store now a banquet hall. We used to stay with relatives in the old farm house right next to the tower. That house is now for sale again. It was not the same as my 1960's visits but I was glad to be in Tuckahoe again.
What kind of schedule is Conrail Shared Assets running with Beezley's point coal or oil trains these days? And is there a shedule for CMSL Tuckahoe/Richland tourist trains. Has CMSL moved any freight south to or from Cape May?
Didn't see any moving trains all day yesterday while in South Jersey. As a kid there was always something to see on the move.

Thanks
Anthony
 #837264  by JJMDiMunno

Trackbolt wrote:I had the pleasure to attend our family reunion in Tuckahoe NJ yesterday. I had not been there since 1981. Much has changed but for lack of traffic things were not nearly as bad as I had expected. The CMSL equipment was all parked on the Cape May tracks and the track from Philly to the remains of the OC branch was recently used. The restored station was as nice as the pictures I have seen . Our reunion was held in the old John DeSantis Purina feed and grain store now a banquet hall. We used to stay with relatives in the old farm house right next to the tower. That house is now for sale again. It was not the same as my 1960's visits but I was glad to be in Tuckahoe again.
What kind of schedule is Conrail Shared Assets running with Beezley's point coal or oil trains these days? And is there a shedule for CMSL Tuckahoe/Richland tourist trains. Has CMSL moved any freight south to or from Cape May?
Didn't see any moving trains all day yesterday while in South Jersey. As a kid there was always something to see on the move.

Thanks
Anthony
Things have changed a lot since the days of the PRSL.

CSAO now runs coal trains at a rate of about one per week (in recent months - prior to this, there wasn't a coal train for several months). There hasn't been an oil train in a while.

http://www.capemayseashorelines.org has all the information available on the operations of the CMSL. They are not currently running trains between Tuckahoe and Richland, or on the Cape May Branch. They do store freight cars however on the Cape May Branch between Tuckahoe and Woodbine and on the relatively-newly constructed spurs at Woodbine.

As for other movements in the area, the only thing that moved yesterday was what we believe was a coal train, southbound leaving Camden at about 12:30AM, and CA-11, the daily mixed freight to Deepwater.

Mike DiMunno
SJRA / SJRail.com
 #837391  by Steam man

Trackbolt wrote: .......We used to stay with relatives in the old farm house right next to the tower............
There used to be a really nice looking young chick ( Sighs..I was young too then) from that house that would come over to the tower to visit and occasionally bring a little guy. We might have met back in the early 70's if that was you.
 #838512  by Trackbolt

That girl is my cousin. She is just as attractive today as she was back then. But in the 1970's it was not me that accompanied her. I was last in that tower for a visit with her and her sister about 1966. I was 14 at the time. I visited her family again in 1981 while attending a funeral of another relative in Ocean City. Last weekend was my first time back to Tuckahoe since 1981. Her uncle that lived across the street was a freight conductor on the PRSL so I am told. Anyway her family knew every railroad employee working in Tuckahoe. Her grandfather tended the origional Tuckahoe station garden back in the early 1900's. There is a picture of him standing in the garden in the Atlantic City Railroad book from the early 1980's.
Other than a lack of train movements and a lot less railroad plant, Tuckahoe has not seemed to have change much. I still have lots of good memories of our visits to Tuckahoe from back in the 50's and 60's.

Anthony