Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #839744  by DonPevsner

CORRECTION to my August 1, 2010 posting: Six (6) NYC Niagaras lasted into 1956 prior to retirement in the Spring of that year, not one (1).
 #840800  by jaygee

I suspect that both of the NYCS and PRR super passenger haulers would have been built anyway, although perhaps not in
the numbers they were. The exotic materials, like CMV steel for lightweight rods would have become available earlier,
had the war ended in August '44 instead of '45. There are a LOT of personal factors to be considered here, on both
roads, and the resistance to abandoning steam power in certain circles at the time would have pitted Metzmann against
Kiefer on the Central and Duer and co. against Clement/Symes over at the Penn. Actually, in a lot of ways, the WPB
worked out well in the way things transpired, at least from a fan-base point of view. Alas, the same could not be said
for Alco...in the long run.
 #843782  by Aa3rt

Here are some photos of a PRR T-1 in the deadline in Crestline, Ohio, taken in the early 1950's, scanned from my father's photo album.

(Sorry for the small size-I'm tired of wrestling with Photobucket. When I tried enlarging them the scans came out "grainy" even though I was able to enlarge them on my computer with no problems. If anyone has an idea of how to remedy this send me a PM.)

Last edited by Aa3rt on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #843783  by 3rdrail

They are great photos Art. Extremely rare. I can't help but get the feeling that they were the "steam GG1's" when I look at them.
 #1047613  by RGlueck

I've just entered this conversation late, but on Godfather's website, there is a photo (one of many) of hundreds of Pennsy steamers sitting empty, cold, partially cannibalized and partially scrapped, in Altoona, during the mid-fifties. On the side of the yard, amongst a string of locomotives, remains a single T1. For whatever reason, that one locomotive was put aside, but ultimately went to scrap. Was there a reason, or was it just fate that placed her there? Nobody will ever know, and today it's pointless to speculate. I have been told that three J1's where kept until 1960, having not been moved or tended to since fires were dropped in 1957. One was selected as a keeper, but derailed three times while being moved in the yard. Finally, out of frustration or anger, she was cut up on the spot. Apparently the story holds some water, but I've never heard it other than one of those apocryphal tales of the close of steam.
 #1200856  by jaygee

That J1 story involves #6171 in Columbus, Grogan. There are several variations of the story. One is basically what you recounted, except the date was later... like '61 or '62. Another involves the same loco, but that it DID get moved to a storage area from the scrap line. The loco was offered to the Worthington museum, who declined it, as it was too big to run. They did wind up with N&W 578, a Pacific, which would fit their operation. The Big Jay sat around with no takers, until N&W bought the Sandusky line in '64...and promptly scrapped the 6171 along with whatever else was lying around. OTOH, you have #6435, which is documented to have never been scrapped by the PRR or sold for scrap. So, where is it? Been some interesting speculation on this over the years, by the few who know about this. Best one I've heard is the Pitcairn duck-under fill-in, from the late '50s....but obviously never proven.