Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #731970  by workextra

Between Gate and CP216 on the now Amtrak NYS line Ex NYCRR/NH. Amtrak has the color retrofitted Position lights.
Currently Harold and F interlocking in NY are full amber Position Lights. With the exception of some signals on the loop tracks.
The Amtrak "color retrofit" position lights have RED, GREEN, AMBER, LUNAR WHITE (LED) bulbs.
The Lunar bulbs are used to display the lower head on a "Restricting" aspect
The Aspects are the same as the full amber signals but in color.
A Medium clear would be "Red" (top horizontal) over "Green"(bottom Vertical)
I don't understand what's with going to solid color lights? The retrofitted PRR style position lights with color LED bulbs are (to me) superior then a straight color light signal.
 #734206  by Jersey Jeff

Sunday night I was walking past Union Interlocking along the NEC and noticed that the EB tracks were still controlled by an original PRR signal bridge with the monochrome PRR signals.
 #879893  by atsf sp

The signals Pittsburgh to Philly are still mainly PRR signals because i saw them as I took the train back not to long ago.
 #880247  by Clearfield

Most signals between Harrisburg and Philly are CPL now.
 #883975  by iceman977th

Any idea if the Conemaugh line are planning to upgrade soon? I have pictures of the signal at CP Leech, and it looked like it was about ready to crumble apart.
 #1137731  by Missyg24

PRR lights just north of the Susquehanna (West Branch) going into "Newberry" Williamsport are still in ues (red for stop/yellow for go;approach).
theres also signals still in use on the southside of the river & in Lock Haven. Sunbury has PRR signals still, most of the Buffalo line to Hallifax (Hallifax has new signals as of last yr).
I drove along the line from South Williamsport to Harrisburg friday. I live 1mile from the old PRR tracks
 #1169212  by mmi16

The bigger question is will the PRR style signals survive on lines where PTC will be installed?
 #1216281  by urrengr2003

These posts all refer to the color of PRR Position Light Signals as amber. Back in the 50,s I had a mentor named Wendell Allen in the PRR Operating Dept. After once calling a signal amber I was instructed the correct color was Lunar White. He went on to great detail of how the PRR had tested various colors to determine which were transmitted thru water vapor to the best advantage. The color selected was called Lunar White by the PRR.

Today we refer to Lunar White as a bluish white aspect usually used for slow speed/restricting indications. Always wished todays Lunar White was the same color as the old PRR. Any body that's tried to pick out a restricting dwarf signal displaying a lunar white aspect against a background of mercury vapor street lamps will understand the difference.
 #1216661  by mvb119

Harold Interlocking as well as the north side of F-tower (Lines 2 and 4) in Queens still use the old PRR PL signals. Lines 1 and 3 were replaced last year. The subs coming from Sunnyside Yard use the dwarf PL signals.