Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #630320  by Tadman

In this month's Walthers Catalog, page 9, there is a set of stainless PRR P-S 10-5 Sleepers with red roof, window band, and ends. Reminds me of Frisco's Cimarron River. I've never heard of PRR actually owning something like this - any truth to this scheme?

Cimarron River, pic from St. Louis NRHS site:

Walthers PRR P-S 10-5 Sleepers:

Edit: It appears PRR painted their sleepers for SLSF's train "Meteor". Odd, because usually the golden rule applied here - "he who has the gold makes the rules". In other words, the richer railroad, PRR, makes SLSF paint everything Maroon.
 #632919  by ExCon90

Tadman wrote:In this month's Walthers Catalog, page 9, there is a set of stainless PRR P-S 10-5 Sleepers with red roof, window band, and ends. Reminds me of Frisco's Cimarron River. I've never heard of PRR actually owning something like this - any truth to this scheme?

Edit: It appears PRR painted their sleepers for SLSF's train "Meteor". Odd, because usually the golden rule applied here - "he who has the gold makes the rules". In other words, the richer railroad, PRR, makes SLSF paint everything Maroon.
On the contrary--the PRR could be very accommodating in that regard. I don't have a roster available, but I know they painted some sleepers in the MoPac scheme for the Texas Eagle as well as some for the SLSF-MKT Texas Special. As I recall they had a number of unpainted stainless-steel sleepers in Florida service from both New York and Chicago. They also had no problem handling ATSF stainless-steel sleepers east of Chicago.

ExCon90
 #632922  by ExCon90

ExCon90 wrote:
Tadman wrote:In this month's Walthers Catalog, page 9, there is a set of stainless PRR P-S 10-5 Sleepers with red roof, window band, and ends. Reminds me of Frisco's Cimarron River. I've never heard of PRR actually owning something like this - any truth to this scheme?

On the contrary--the PRR could be very accommodating in that regard. I don't have a roster available, but I know they painted some sleepers in the MoPac scheme for the Texas Eagle as well as some for the SLSF-MKT Texas Special. As I recall they had a number of unpainted stainless-steel sleepers in Florida service from both New York and Chicago. They also had no problem handling ATSF stainless-steel sleepers east of Chicago.

ExCon90
In any case, I'm not aware that the PRR ever had any equipment painted "maroon."

ExCon90
 #633903  by PRRGuy

Did a little online searching and found this on a Frisco forum...

"Two PRR 10-5 sleepers, "Cascade Meadow" and "Cascade Range" were painted to match The Texas Special from May 1948 until sometime in 1950. In 1950, the two cars were replaced with 10-6 sleepers "Swatara Rapids" and "Tioga Rapids". The two Rapids series cars were in standard PRR colors until May 1953 when they were finally shadowlined. In November 1956, the cars were repainted red and imitation aluminum without the shadowlining. Both cars were repainted to standard PRR colors in 1960 (the service on the Texas Special was discontinued in 1958)."

Ryan