Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.

#33459  by thirdrail

Class F3c Moguls. Like this one.

#33586  by 2nd trick op

If there is a single class of steam motive power that better fits that descripition, I'll challenge anyone to name it...here's why.

The J-1 was a creation of a wartime emergency, a proven design from Lima, the creator of Super Power, fleshed out and built by the Standard Railroad of the World, in the ultimate railroad town.

After spending its first years in the defense of democracy, it toiled for the remainder of its career fueling the postwar boom that would make it obsolete before its time.

Unencumbered by the experimental refinements that would doom the duplex-drives, it would endure to make the trip to the steel mills with the I's, K's, L's and M's 15 to 30 years its senior.

While it's regrettable that preservation eluded the J-1, this also contributes to its mystique; small wonder that the reproduction of Pennsy's 1944 calendar was incorporated into PRRT&HS' response to the events of 9/11/01.

#54986  by mp15ac

Mine is the E-6s 4-4-2. Next are the G-5s 4-6-0 and the K-5 4-6-2.

I kitbashed an excellent model of the E-6s in HO scale by combing the chassis from the Bowser kit with the boiler, cab, and tender from the Roundhouse kit.

I'm toying with the idea of building a K-5 by combining the boiler and cab from the Bowser I-1s with the chassis from the Bowser K-4s.

Stuart

#60370  by Richard Glueck

I'm a G5 fan, being of LIRR extraction. I love the G's, but probably the I1sa would have knocked me over when it was running slowly and towing a load.

#66237  by Paul

Hands down, the A5s. It says PENNSY all the way, will fit in my driveway, AND I could build a full size one if I had a big enough garage.

#154875  by Centurylover68

Hmm, I like K-4's, T-1's and last, but not least the chunky hippos, I-1's. Pennsy had some amazing steam engines. A-5 is one PRR steamer I don't know of. What did it look and what was the wheel arrangement?

#223853  by pennsy

Hi All,

My favorites are the ones that I have in my HO gauge stable. I have an H-9 consolidation, an I-1s Decapod, and an L-1s Mikado. I have also modified a ten wheeler to resemble a G-5s. All are great running engines and are very much in operating condition. Cannot say that for the 1:1 scale.

#223887  by MisterM7

My facorite steam is a tie between these 3 types

J1/I1/M1
 #614709  by GSC

I grew up along the NY&LB and I'm just old enough to remember the end of PRR steam. Seeing them on a semi-regular basis back then, I have to lean toward the K4. I remember my grandmother yelling about her white sheets out on the line as she heard a K4 pull out from Belmar station, we then lived two blocks south of the station, right at trackside. She (and her laundry) hated PRR steam! Instant dark gray laundry!

Never saw other Pennsy power in operation until I rode behind D16 #1223 at Strasburg, so the D-series 4-4-0 would in be second place.