Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #481984  by .Taurus.

Hello,
Were there customers on the NEC and its branchlines (resp on PRR's hole electrified network), that were supplied directly by electric engines (for example E-33, E-44, GG-1) ?

I think, most freights pulled by electric engines were transfer moves; from one yard to another yard along the corridor.
And the 'last miles' to the customers the freight cars were pulled again by an diesel engine, because the branchlines weren't electrified.

But what's about the real big customers along the corridor, which have its own small yard and a own switcher diesel?
For example the Ford Plant in Metuchen, NJ and the Chrysler Plant in Newark, DE ?

The Chrysler Plant (GoogleMap Link) nowadays for example is supplied daily(?) through Norfolk Southern by its own freight trains (the internet say #12N and #13N) (Picture from Railpictures.net with a NS train in the chrysler yard)

Did they got its freight train in the past by electric engines ?
The electric pulled the train into the customers own yard beside the corrdior tracks, hooked up from the train
and the small switcher distributed the cars (boxcars and autoracks in the case of Chrysler) to its final destination on the Chrysler plant ...

Were there other customers along the Northeast and Keystone Corridor that were supplied by electrics ?
Don't straiten on PRR, whats about PC and Conrail ?

Bye :-D

#481987  by .Taurus.

Ups, I forgot
I ask these questions because of this Picture on railpictures.net:
It shows 2 Conrail GG-1 with a open auto rack train "near Ford Plant at Metuchen, New Jersey"

And my question was,
did the GG-1 fetch the autoracks directly form the Ford Plant or
were these auto racks move to the next conrail classification yard by an diesel, where the electrics atlast take over the train.
And if the GG-1 fetch the cars directly, were there other customers, that were supplied directly by electrics ?

Just to repeat my question
Bye :wink:

#482316  by JimBoylan

There was one electrified private freight siding on the East side of the NorthEast Corridor, between Torresdale and Andalusia, Pa. I remember it in 1963, but all trace is gone now. The under street level sidings for the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin newspaper near 30th St. Station, also the similar Post Office sidings in Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York were most likely switched by electric locos.
 #484414  by 2nd trick op

I doubt if many sidings other than the special situations mentioned above would rate catenary, and the little Class B electric "switchers" were mostly confined to Sunnyside Yard in Long Island City, Queens. In therory, non-electrified spurs could also be serviced by an electric using "idler" cars, but that would be highly unlikely.

But if we expand the term "customer" to include piggyback and unit coal moves, than it's possible, though still not probable, that a start-to-finish all-electric freight move could be accomplished.

The PRR also ran solid export coal moves to a pier at South Amboy, New Jersey until at least 1966. These diverged from the New York Division main at Monmouth Junction. Not sure whether this line had catenary, or how long it stayed in use.