Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #480768  by ApproachMedium

Hello all, figured the Pennsy forum would be the best place to go to ask this question....

I have in HO scale a fine GG1 in tuscan red, whiskers with the small keystone, #4913. I am interested in getting a few passenger coaches to tow behind her. From what I have found online this paint scheme was applied in 1952 is that correct? How long did that scheme last on this engine? What types of passenger coaches would you see behind it in either long distance or commuter service? heavyweights? stainless? I know the PRR had various cars I just want to make sure I get something that will be appropriate to go along with the locomotive for my train. I would be interested in either doing a commuter train or a long distance train. Any help, suggestions, photos would be greatly appricated! Thanks!

#480784  by pennsy

Hi,

You can model your consist after mine. Tuscan red coachs etc. heavyweight with six wheel trucks, heavyweight observation with the porch on the back. Alternatively, you could also go stainless steel, with the Tuscan Red stripe above the windows and a boat tail observation bringing up the rear. I have both, but normally run the heavyweights.

#481198  by walt

Historically, you could also have your GG1 haul almost anything that ran between DC and NYP during the 1950's. This could include, of course the Tuscan Red and Stainless PRR cars, Stainless Steel New Haven Cars ( it was one of these that had the defect which caused the 1953 wreck of the Federal and GG 1 No 4876 at DC's Union Station), Stainless Steel Southern Railway cars, particularly those which made up the Southern Crescent, and Stainless Steel ACL or Seaboard Coast Line cars. All of these types were hauled by GG1's between DC and NYP in the 1950's.