Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #471710  by transit383

I took the following photo at the Okerson Road grade crossing in Freehold, NJ on the old PRR Freehold Branch. There is a pretty neat looking structure near the grade crossing, which I assume is an old PRR signal stand that has managed to survive. I'm not exactly sure about that though, so can anyone help me out with this?

Old PRR signal stand at Okerson Road grade crossing

That grade crossing is where Conrail's active tracks end and the line goes out of service.

For what its worth, here is a photo of the out of service portion of the line through Howell, NJ:

Fairfield Road Crossing

#471970  by transit383

Problem solved. I received this email about what the structure actually is:

The device that still stands used to hold a warning bell for upcoming trains. Most of the crossings in the area (Yellowbrook Road, Fairfield Road, Howell Road, Halls Mills Road, before Kozloski Road) had Cross Buck Signs and a Pole with a Warning Bell. Route 524 outside Farmingdale had flashing lights, and the other crossings east of Farmingdale that has been torn up were the same way.