Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #441647  by Suburban Station

I know the Columbia-Lancaster portion is still in use. I've seen pictures of the fallen railroad bridge but I was wondering if there's anything left of the ROW on the west side of the Susquehanna?

#441719  by Septa Fan

I get to the York area on occasion. Here is what I see: There is definitely rail in use in Springettsbury Township (East of York) There is a rail over pass at Mount Zion Road, just south of Route 30 and a grade crossing on Route 462 near Locust Grove Road. The rail seems to be in use as far as Hallam. It does not seem to make it as far east as Wrightsville. Westward from Mount Zion, it appears to be in use servicing factories and warehouses at least as far as York. It is a pretty part of the Commonwealth. I'll see what else I can observe.
Thank you
SEPTA FAN

#441753  by Suburban Station

Thanks. So I guess the portion in question is Hallam to Wrightsville (whether the ROW still exists).

#442464  by Septa Fan

I drove through Wrightsville yesterday. I could not directly face the Western side of the old bridge, (private property). There does not seem to be any remnants of rail left in Wrightsville. The line east of Hallam goes through some farm country (again private property) and I could not see any evidence of surviving rail. But, that is just what I did not see, not necessarily what is there.
SEPTA FAN

#464740  by Sean@Temple

On the York side of the river the tracks end at a bumper at Campbell Road which is about a mile past the grade crossing on 462 (E Market Street). There are are quite a few bridges that are still intact as well as a tiny bit of track here or there. The Lancaster side seems to be in better shape, though I can not say for certain. Hopefully someone else can speak more on that side. Who knows when I will get on that side of the river to explore will be.

Sean@Temple
 #466920  by DCmetrogreen

I got stuck by a Norfolk Southern train for the second time in two weeks in the York Area. The line (Northern Central?) north from York through Manchester and Brunner Island (Power Plant) to Harrisburg seems pretty busy to me. There is a good sized yard at the York end right near the new Minor League Ballpark. As far as the line East from York? AFAIK it's used only for CSR (scrap) and the Ex- Catapillar Plant. ROW only goes as far as Campbell Rd as stated before, but I believe the crossing has been eliminated at E Market St/462.