Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #426741  by mb38

Anyone know where I could get information on the "60th Street Branch" Believe the branch connected to the now Northeast Corridor near the Brill Tower in Southwest Philadelphia.

Thank You

#427143  by JimBoylan

It ran from Brill tower to Marcus Hook. It was relocated many times as International Airport expanded. It had a branch to Hog Island Ship Yard and another one to the oil refineries along Passyunk Ave. There is also a "C" shaped connection to the NorthEast Corridor East of Saville Ave. near Eddystone and another connection East of Church St. in Marcus Hook. I think there was also a connection in a Chester street near Lamokin St.
The very East end starting at Brill Tower where 60th St. should be is now used as the beginning of S.E.P.T.A.'s Airport High Speed Line.

#436648  by lefty

JimBoylan wrote: It had a branch to Hog Island Ship Yard and another one to the oil refineries along Passyunk Ave. .
I always thought it looked like a ROW down the automall, is that what ran there?

#436847  by JimBoylan

lefty wrote:
JimBoylan wrote: It had a branch to the oil refineries along Passyunk Ave.
I always thought it looked like a ROW down the automall, is that what ran there?
Probably, but there were other lines and branches. Airport and refinery expansions caused many reroutings of the tracks. Sometimes, the previous main line became a dead end branch. Also, the Reading had a branch to the refineries that had a grade crossing with the 60th St. Branch and with Passayunk Ave. near 70th St.

#436881  by mb38

Gentlemen - If you can - use GOOGLE EARTH and check the transportation box - a black line will appear showing the right of way or atleast what is on the ""Books" - of the 60th street branch.