Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #248727  by steve coraggio

To anyone on this perhaps you can help with the above mentioned subject. On the Amboy Secondary Branch that paralles Bordentwon Avenue in Sayreville and near Milepost 3, and betwwen Cheesequake Road Crossing there is a three sided foundation which has been there for a very long time, Does anyone know what this structure may have been? It is small so I figure possibly some type of tower I alaso looked up that prior to 1930 the Amboy Secondary Branch had been part of the Trenton Division of the PRR, April 1930 the Trenton Div. was abolished and Amboy Secondary became part of the New York Div. I think this structure may have been active in the late 19th century and early 20th centurty. If anyone has an idea of what this structure was or knows someone that knows I can be reached at [email protected]
Thank you Steve Coraggio
 #580439  by steve coraggio

To JC 1076

Thank you for replying to my inquiry regarding the building foundation southwest of MP 3 on the Amboy Secondary.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the building, only the foundation. This foundation faces trackside only and I do remember years ago there was a concrete driveway for one vehicle that faced Bordentown Avenue, that is now grown over with grass/weeds. The foundation is not accessible due large amount of debris in it. The pictures of the foundfation are 35mm print and also a silver colored electrical or signal box on the same side of tracks as the foundation. Form my PRR Timetable # 24 New York Zone and for the NY Division dated Sunday April 26, 1936, at MP 3 on the Amboy Secondary is listed Such's Siding. This was a private siding that was just east of "The Hole in the Wall" (intersection of Ernston Road & Bordentown Avenue Sayreville) Such's siding extended west to connect with the RRRR (raritan river rr), this was in the late 1800's I know the PRR took over the Camden & Amboy RR in 1871. When Such's siding was active at one point many years ago,I'm taking a guess that may the fdoundation may have been for a small signal tower, as the Amboy Secondary had two tracks at one time as well, and this right of way was also part of the original C&A RR. If you are interested I could send the prints of the foundation and signal box, please send me your street mailing address to my home e-mail [email protected] Thank you againg Steve Coraggio
 #580475  by JC1076

The "Hole in the Wall" is on Stevens Avenue, not at Ernston & Bordentown... I've got a friend who lives near that tunnel, what a tight squeeze to get through there! Since the PRR timetable indicates Such's Siding, maybe some of the Raritan River guys on this forum might know something about it... google "Raritan River Railroad" and some very good sites will come up. Transit383 may know about the RRRR/PRR connections...?
 #580525  by steve coraggio

JC 1076
thank you again yes I know about the tunnel in South Amboy, but didn't know it was called "The Hole in the Wall" . I have previously contacted someone from the Rariatn River Forum and have gotten some information but nothing actually to identify what the foundation near MP 3 on Amboy Secondary was. A friend of mine that does alot of railroad archeology mentioned that I try ythe US Library of Congress with my request and see what informamtion they may have.
I have the book Rails up the Raritan authored by the late Fred Diebert, and the book mentions Such's Siding briefly.
but nothing of the foundation neare MP 3. As you know the Amboy Seconday has been posted for no trespassing so it will be difficult to go on the R.O.W, if you still want the 35mm pictures I mentioned in my previous e-mail to you, just send me your street mailing address, as I don't have a scanner to scan them onto /into a computer. Thanks again for your reply
Steve Coraggio
 #618846  by GSC

George Such operated one of the first clay pit - brickyards in the area, and opened before the Raritan River RR, so was connected to the Camden & Amboy / PRR. It later connected to the Raritan as well, having two rail outlets. In its day, Such's was a big operation, second only to the Sayre & Fisher plant northwest of Sayreville.
 #618895  by steve coraggio

Hello GSC
thank you for your reply to my inquiry I know that Such's Siding connected wiht the PRR on the Amboy Secondary (former mainline of the C&A) There is a concrete foundation that is near MP3
on the Amboy Secondary and close to where Such's Siding had formrly been located. If you have any information about the concrete foundation please contact me through this forum or at [email protected]. I know that Such' Sidisng was a big operation an there was a freight station near the intersection of Bordentown Ave & Ernston Rd, Sayreville at one time , The time frame I beliveve to obtain waht this foundation was for is in the late 1800's when the PRR took over the C&A. I know Such's Siding was there prior to the RRRR, and that siding connected to the RRRR in Sayreville. If you have any infdo baout Such's Siding i.e. track diagrams etc or other historical or railroad infor pertaining to this please contact me at the e-mail listed in this reply or post it on this forum. Thank you Steve Coraggio home e-mail [email protected]