Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1349672  by rrbluesman

A few weeks ago, as a local architect involved with the current restoration of the c. 1890 PRR station and life-long railfan and PRR historian, I recommended to several Caroline County, MD officials renewing the idea of the restoration of the Goldsboro rail station, which is current vacant, derelict, and on a temporary foundation along the Oxford Branch of the Delmarva Division in Goldsboro. Positive result of suggesting this, I have been made the chairperson of a committee to present design and use for the building. I with to return the building to it's c. 1890s appearance, inside and out, produce a duplicate platform, and possibly make arrangements with MDOT for limited use of the out-of-service ROW. In it's final form, citizens of Goldsboro and Visitors would be able to experience the building restored to its true form as a railroad station which could be used for public meetings, a limited interpretive center and museum, and a visitor tourist attraction with local visitor info. This is part of a larger goal proposed by myself and another local official seeking to create a network of railroad related interpretive centers and excursions both through local community involvement and the owners and operators of tourist railroad attractions.

Presently, I am seeking to develop a public interest in the restoration of the Goldsboro station. I am developing public info brochures, social media, and a website for this project as a volunteer as head of 'The Goldsboro Station Restoration Committee.' If I set up a public meeting, could I find support through the railfan community as well as my local interests? Does anyone know what railroad societies might offer grant or other fundraising assistance? This is my first time heading a committee like this so any help would be useful.

-Edward Bombaro, AIA
Head Chairperson,
The Goldsboro Station Restoration Committee
 #1361161  by rrbluesman

Opportunities for financing to restore Goldsboro Station through state grants have begun to develop, however we have to develop matching funds for some of these grants. The Friends of Pennsylvania Railroad Goldsboro, MD Station has started a donation fundraising campaign at GoFundMe to help make this happen. There are rewards for donations, to find out more or donate please visit the following link:

http://www.gofundme.com/d8ebzde4

Please feel free to respond to this message with a normal reply or private message me if you want more information about the project and the other community groups involved in planning. Thanks!
 #1362282  by rrbluesman

After a recent informal meeting with some local officials, I am beginning to draft an outline of some Goldsboro Station rehabilitation and/or repurposing ideas. Oh, if I haven't mentioned it in previous messages I am the architect and project designer behind the current push to restore Goldsboro Station.

As some may already be aware, the building was designated about 5 years ago to a home developer wishing to build homes on land adjoining the property the building sits on presently. This developer appears to have little to no interest in doing anything to assist in this station as the plans to build the home development keep being pushed off years and years by MUA issues. Therefore a proposal has been introduced that would allow one of the waiting rooms, post remodeling, to be a (possibly temporary) sales office for this developer and the other waiting room/agent's office could be used for public functions and an a railroad interpretive center exploring the history of the railroad and station to the town.

Another proposal is to make the entire building an interpretive center open to public events only.

I have suggested that the Out-of-Service/Abandoned Oxford Branch paralleling the state highway from the grade crossing there to the next crossing down be examined as a possible rail trail/park as MDOT and their 2020 Rail Plan has no interest in revitalizing the branch;, MDOT owns the right of way and has cooperated with neighboring towns, like my Ridgely Station Restoration Project in Ridgely, Maryland or like the rail train in Easton, MD.

I am looking for input and ideas from fellow railfans about the two current proposals, and also other ideas and additions to the current proposals. I appreciate serious input, thank you!

-Ed
 #1371073  by rrbluesman

I posted the first three preliminary property/building placement proposals on the "Friends of Pennsylvania Railroad Goldsboro (MD) Station" today, please check them out as I encourage your opinions!

-Ed