Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1326098  by Highball116

I was looking at pictures of Safe Harbor and noticed that the small highway truss bridge spanning the creek has rails on the deck, set into the pavement. A little research revealed that at the time of construction, ancillary railroad tracks were laid to bring in supplies, but I could not find any specifics on where the tracks were located. I was wondering if what I see in this late-1930s aerial photo is the footprint of a yard north of the highway truss on the east bank of the creek. The alignment of that building makes me wonder if it was also part of a railroad operation. Is anyone familiar?

Thanks,
Toby

#1328029  by choess

If so, it would have been associated with dam construction. According to the newspaper accounts that have come out recently with the sale of Safe Harbor Village, there was a construction rail line that hauled limestone from the quarries on site, so a small yard there might have been useful at the time. The ironworks at Safe Harbor and the unsuccessful magnetic concentrator at Marticville had a rail spur off the C&PD, but they were gone by the time the dam was built. Per this web page, the dam was still switching with a saddle tanker up until 1972, hence the derelict connections to the C&PD. I don't know if they dredged the pool for coal fines like they did at Holtwood.