Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1266098  by rrbluesman

I received my Railfan and Railroad Magazine in the mail today and found on page 22 an article titled "Norfolk Southern Restores a GG1 for the Heritage Fleet." The article indicates the G is being restored to "....miniaturization and digital technology, we have been able to upgrade the locomotive to operate under today's various overhead power systems while outwardly retaining its 'stock' 1934 appearance." The work is being done with the URHS of NJ, who actually owns the engine and the work is being done "In secret" at Boonton, NJ.

To say the least, I am skeptical this is actually occurring. After 30 years why all of the sudden now make it compliant to modern electrical for excursion service? Does anyone know if this is really happening?

-Ed
 #1266202  by philipmartin

Your skepticism may be correct, but it sounds wonderful. A G pulling trains again. IF i were still working in the Boonton area, I'd drive up and see what I could see.
I'm surprised that the NS is free with money. When I worked Hager tower in 1982, we took orders form the dispatcher in Roanoke, and handed them on all southbound N&W trains. We didn't have a N&W rule book in the tower, so I drove to Roanoke to get one. The chief was helpful, but he had to search around to find one for me. Also I looked at the N&W track outside of Hagerstown, and it looked like light rail to me. Not a penny wasted.
 #1266261  by chrisf

rrbluesman wrote:I received my Railfan and Railroad Magazine in the mail today and found on page 22 an article titled "Norfolk Southern Restores a GG1 for the Heritage Fleet."
Just a guess: this is in the April issue.
 #1266287  by chrisf

rrbluesman wrote:Yes, April issue
That was a halfhearted attempt at a joke on my part. There's no way this could be anything but an April Fool joke in the magazine.