Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1113286  by The tram man

scottychaos wrote:...like they were only in yellow + PRR markings for a short time (only a year or two in some cases)
photos are probably quite rare!
It seems a few cars were painted this way for more than two years. In the case of 10-6 sleeper Stoney River, quoted from Pullman Shops:
10 roomette-6 doublebedroom Stoney Rapids was delivered by Pullman and placed in service in December 1948. It and Tippecanoe Rapids were the two cars PRR contributed to a New York - Los Angeles transcontinental pool with the Union Pacific, which added five Pacific series 10-6's. This Pullman line was operated on the Admiral on the PRR and the Los Angeles Limited on the UP/C&NW. The PRR cars were painted the standard PRR tuscan red until 1955 when the transcontinental line was moved to the UP City of Los Angeles. At that time both cars (Tippecanoe Rapids 4/29/55, Stoney Rapids 6/9/55) were repainted into the UP Streamliners scheme of Armour yellow and Harbormist gray but still lettered Pennsylvania on the letterboard. On October 30, 1955 to routing between Chicago and Omaha was changed from C&NW to the Milwaukee Road. Fall of 1956 the service was changed to every other day, and Tippecanoe Rapids was removed from the pool and repainted PRR colors. Transcontinental service ended October 26, 1956, but Stoney Rapids was not repaint to PRR colors until July of 1958.
I have however not been able to find any prototype photos either.* Once again i've only found pics of N&W, Wabash, SP, C&NW and MILW equipment in this paintscheme.

*As a matter of fact i've been unable to find pics of both Stoney Rapids and Tippecanoe Rapids in any paintscheme.
 #1113383  by timz

Dubin says three 10-6s were painted yellow; Wayner says a prewar sleeper-obs (built for the Spirit of StL) was yellow for a year or two in the 1950s-- does that mean it was the transcon car? (As I recall the City of LA only started carrying the transcon sleeper in 1954.)
 #1113556  by The tram man

timz wrote:Dubin says three 10-6s were painted yellow; Wayner says a prewar sleeper-obs (built for the Spirit of StL) was yellow for a year or two in the 1950s-- does that mean it was the transcon car?
If it was a Pennsy car, or any other from the east coast for that matter, then yes. To my knowledge atlease.
 #1137706  by Missyg24

I am shocked also that theres YELLOW PRR cars. seen some at White Deer, Pa at the station. Sitting there wiht a lot of other cars like it was frozen in time.
I have pictures of it on my Facebook. Missy Simbeck, if you have one add me.
 #1137773  by The tram man

I just took a quick little look and those seem to be MoW cars. On one of the pics it even says "Track" under the cars number.