Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #125182  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks for the help! I guess I'll have to bring steaks for the dogs... :wink:

Who switches them now- CSX or R&S?
 #137964  by cmsciera

R&S, I've heard them call for clearance to cross the west shore to get in there.

#148932  by 8222

One interesting tidbit is that the Rochester Pennsy segment received a lot of use AFTER Conrail, albeit for only a short time. Post Conrail, the LV main was more or less "shut down", as was the EL from Batavia to Avon (all at once or in segments, I don't remember). OK, so now how do you serve the respective Rochester branches of each if you can't get to them? The local originated at the EL Exchange St. yard. Three days a week, it made the trip to Avon on the old EL, and on the off days, it made the trip out to Roch Jct., HF, etc. on the old LV. Remember, there was a switch near Crittenden Rd. to permit access to both (great pic by Devan Lawton of Ron Carson asking permission in "EL in color V2"). Why didn't they use the interchange at Mortimer? It wasn't in yet - nothing but diamonds there. OK, so how did the local get to Exchange St. in the first place? It was an all day affair: the transfer run started at Goodman St. and headed out to Lincoln Park (West Ave.). Somewhere along the way (wait, wait, wait...), it crossed over the two mains, got into Lincoln Park, ran parallel to West Ave., past GRS, and swung over to the Pennsy behind Pfaudler. Down the Pennsy, (more waiting), across the B&O, over the canal, 390, across Scottsville Rd., into the Pennsy "yard". Stop, flip the switch, back down through Genesee Valley Park (over the canal yet again), cross Plymouth Ave. until you reach the EL, line yourself up and back down to Exchange St. All that to go only a couple of miles as the crow flies. The initial usual power was a 200 series LV RS2/3 or an EL 1200 series geep, until CR started moving power around. Cabooses could have been anyone's leftovers, but mostly NYC/PC green transfer hacks. Of course, once Mortimer was put in, the end came quickly. I don't have a date for that - maybe someone can fill in the blank. I seem to remember the operation (as described above) lasting for 1-2 years. Except for a spur next to the canal (now) off the R&S (B&O), it's all weeds and trails.
 #148968  by Sam Damon

Matt Langworthy wrote:Thanks for the help! I guess I'll have to bring steaks for the dogs... :wink:
Better still... bring a female dachshund in heat. :P
 #151111  by Matt Langworthy

Geez, hadn't thought of that but a female dachsund in heat will do amazing thing to male dogs- like make an Irish Wolfhound cry or a West Highland White Terrier think he weighs 300 lbs! (Both true stories from my days in H'port -circa 1983).

On a more serious note, the Corn Hill Landing development is being built on part of the old Erie line in the city of Rochester. A local newspaper article detailing the history of that area states that CR ended service on the former Erie north of Mortimer Jct in 1979, and removed the tracks a short time later. No explanation was given, but I can see where that roundabout move must have been a major headache.

BTW, the pic of Ron Carson in the EL book is priceless!
 #418579  by MuddyAxles

I have a question about the Roch. Div. and motive power used near the end.

Does anyone know or know where to find what power was being used toward the end on the Rochester Division, specifically between Fillmore and Houghton where SR 19 parallels the roadbed.

I remember clocking a local one moonlight night (Mom was driving, I was too young then) at about 30 mph and the horn was blown at the several crossings singing the most melodious, sweetest tune I had ever heard. (I was bitten by the bug then, it only took 3-1/2 decades to to something about it.)

I think it was a switcher much like a sw1500, but what manufacturer, what horn set?

Thanks
 #621943  by Caseyjim

I would be very interested in a book about the Pennsy's Rochester Branch, especially when the last train operated over it, any depots still in existence, etc. I have the Northern Region Employee Timetable No.9, Dated April 28,1963 showing the line south of Wadsworth Jct. as a Construction Track. Strange term for a track about to be pulled up.
 #1287304  by thebigham

I'm glad I found this thread.

I think an earlier version of Railroad.net had a longer, detailed thread on the PRR's Rochester Branch.

There is not a lot of info on the 'net about this line.

I found these 3 pages of pics of the railroad around Letchworth:

http://www.letchworthparkhistory.com/alongpennsy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.letchworthparkhistory.com/alongpennsy2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.letchworthparkhistory.com/alongpennsy4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pics of the line through Letchworth when it was the Genesee Valley Canal:

http://www.letchworthparkhistory.com/Ph ... chor547342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The right of way is now the Greenway Trail.

Website: http://www.fogvg.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A good trail map: http://www.fogvg.org/trail_user/maps/ma ... 2-6-09.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1297949  by Missyg24

What about Elmira Branch.... Sodus Point NY to Williamsport, thru Watkins Glen & Elmira NY; Troy, Trout Run to Williamsport, PA...
 #1486424  by nydepot

thebigham wrote:nydepot, where were the grades on the Rochester Branch? Someone was asking on Facebook.
1.55% around Nunda and .80% around Cuba.
 #1525270  by Fanatic5

I am trying to solicit interest again in this somewhat forgotten branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad. I enjoy walking parts of the trail through Piffard, Cuylerville and Mt. Morris, however, have seen very little written on this line. I have the 1947 Trains issue that briefly sheds light on the operation, but cannot find much of anything else. Several years back, there was mention of a book from one of the members. Did this book ever get published? Are there any freight photos, especially in the 1950s and early 1960s on this branch? I have only seen one photo of the DL&W/PRR junction and interlocking tower in Mt. Morris (no trains).