Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1104055  by The tram man

Zeke wrote:The Western Maryland Ry ran thru Baltimore IIRC from Canton junction to Sparrows point thru the B & P and Union tunnels and PRR's Baltimore station.I recall seeing six WM F-units around 1971 running north on the NEC or Chesapeake div as it was named then,from Bowie with an empty Popes Creek coal train dunno if it ran that way in PRR days. Back in 1965 Jersey Central ran freights over the PRR from Newark to Monmouth jct for several months due to a barge taking out the NY&LB draw over the Raritan river. They(CNJ) also ran some deadhead passenger moves over the NEC. The power was pure CNJ due to the fact quite a few off thier lcos were cab signal equipped. Back in the late 1950's Atlantic Coast line E-units ran thru to Newark,NJ from D.C. over the NEC due to the massive powdered snow caused failure of PRR GG-1's. I believe a set of RF&P and Seaboard Airline E-s made it to Newark also during that brief period. The diesels were cut off east of Newark, replaced by an electric motor,and run down to the Meadows diesel pit where they were fueled and watered up and sent back south on their next respective Florida train.I believe a few made the turn in Philly also.There pix of these movments on the net and in fan publications.
Thanks for the interesting read. :)

I'll try to find some of those pics.
 #1282773  by Jessica Black

@Zeke: Those photos are more than likely from the winter of 1958 when the reliable GG1's developed indigestion in the electrical systems (shorting of the system caused by snow, very fine snow, passed through the traction motors air filters and melted onto the electric components), thus putting the Railroad in a position where it had to allow diesels to keep moving trains through Washington, as opposed to changing over to electric.
 #1286787  by Tadman

I recall those pics and I believe that is the case as stated in the captions. Great find.
 #1368433  by mmi16

The tram man wrote:Well, i know it may sound stupid and incorrect, but i consider pool trains foreign if they don't use, in this case, PRR cars.
All 'pool' trains included PRR cars in proportion to the mileage PRR constituted in the end to end route of the 'pool' train. The same types of agreements existed with other 'pool' trains with other carriers such as California Zephyr, with CB&Q, DRGW & WP each owning their proportionate share of the cars. Same applied to the North Coast Limited, Empire Builder and the various City trains of the UP.