Railroad Forums 

• Heating Stoves & Decking on PC Transfer Cabooses

• Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1016816  by Bigt

Can anyone tell me why the PC transfer cabooses started out with a propane powered
heater only to be switched over to a fuel oil heater? Was it safety, convenience, cost, etc.?
I remember both types being used up here - Massena, NY terminal - but never heard why they
were changed.

Also, wood decking versus open steel grating. A matter of conversion versus new construction?
Safety issue?
 #1025239  by lvrr325

The LV converted 8 cabooses over to propane in the 1970s, possibly in response to the first oil crisis to try to save money.

Wood decking was surely cheaper, perhaps even able to be re-used from other freight car rebuilding programs, since it only needed support the weight of a man and not carry a cargo.
 #1025441  by Bigt

That makes sense. Yesterday, I was told by a retired conductor, that two N9E cabs that were equipped
with propane stoves, that were assigned to his terminal, kept having their pilot lights go out due to what
they determined must have been slack action. After repeated "repairs" and relighting, the local crews pitched
enough noise about the stoves that the railroad replaced those two stoves with oil ones. He said eventually
all the transfers he worked with either were changed or came that way new from the shop. He also joked
that the oil dealer was the brother-in-law of the Trainmaster and was probably happy with the extra fuel
oil business!
 #1049034  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:The LV converted 8 cabooses over to propane in the 1970s, possibly in response to the first oil crisis to try to save money.
Can you confirm that? The only one I know of was 95027, and in Bednar's book #5 he states that was the only one on the system so equipped. Is it possible they considered doing 8 but changed their minds after the first one?