Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1463961  by scoostraw

This slide is currently up on eBay. Identified only as "March 1977". You can see the blue Conrail caboose on the hind end.
Attachments:
PC CR 5505 ALCO RS3 Streetrunning Mar 1977.jpg
PC CR 5505 ALCO RS3 Streetrunning Mar 1977.jpg (548.74 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
 #1464081  by D Alex

Gold plate on that Beetle makes me think it's NY. There is still street-running in Utica, so it might be there. Also, out of 4 cars, 2 are VW's, one MG, and 1 Ford. Certainly likely to be either a northeastern town, or a college town.
 #1464107  by MACTRAXX

Scoostraw:

This picture of a CR branch line freight train is interesting...I think that this is in South Jersey -
note the black on straw New Jersey license plate on the Volkswagen Beetle - and note the NJ
plate that is on the lower right pilot of the locomotive (!!!) which is in a ABC-123 format.
I am a license plate collector and buff - the plates pictured are definitely NOT NY plates.

Another tip-off is the twin house on the left - which are somewhat common in older towns in the
Middle Atlantic region. I am thinking that this is one of the branch lines that led out of Camden
to towns such as Pemberton.

You should post this picture in the New Jersey Railfan Forum and see if anyone recognizes what
town this street running track is in and if it is still in use.

MACTRAXX
 #1464443  by scoostraw

That's some good detective work. Interesting about the license plate on the pilot of the locomotive. I wonder if that had anything to do with street-running, or if it was just somebody's prank.

Good thought about posting in the NJ group. I may do that.