Railroad Forums 

• Youngsville, PA depot?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#942791  by Aa3rt

I have been searching, thus far to no avail, for a photo of the former NYC (Originally Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley & Pittsburgh) depot in Youngsville (Warren County), PA. I'd also appreciate a little history of the depot if anyone has any.

I'm quite aware of the history of the line-it ran from Dunkirk, NY to Titusville, PA, with construction being completed sometime in the early 1870's. The line south of Warren, PA to Titusville was abandoned in the early 1960's with the rest of the line, with the exception of some industrial trackage around Warren, being abandoned after Hurricane Agnes in 1972.

More information here: http://www.wnyrails.org/railroads/davp/davp_home.htm

Supposedly this depot was on Oak Street in Youngsville and from 1902 through 1920 it also served the Youngsville & Sugar Grove Street Railway/Warren Traction Company/Panama Traction Company. This was a 12 mile line that was originally built with the intent of being electrified but never reached those goals before going to a sheriff's sale in the spring of 1920.

I should note that Youngsville was also served by the Pennsylvania Railroad-both lines maintained separate depots. While I've managed to find one vintage view of the PRR depot, images of the NYC depot remain elusive.
 #945484  by Cactus Jack

Can't recall ever seeing a photo of it but also thought that trackage from Warren to Titusville lasted until the PC merger in '68.

Somewhere I saw a little booklet about the line to Sugar Grove. Never could figure out where it actually terminated there.

Would be nice to be able to find more info.

Saw a photo someplace of what looked like RS-1's on a Rochester - Titusville Excursion train in the '50's complete with diner. Sure would like to have a time machine and sit back in that diner and enjoy the views !
 #945760  by Aa3rt

Cactus Jack wrote:Can't recall ever seeing a photo of it but also thought that trackage from Warren to Titusville lasted until the PC merger in '68.
No, I can attest that the line from Warren to Titusville was abandoned earlier. I recall going to the remnants of the line somewhere between Irvine and Starbrick (West of Warren) with my father in the mid-1960's and salvaging some old ties to be used in a "home improvement" project at our house in Sugar Grove. In fact, a couple of them still border my father's driveway. The grade where the NYC (DAV&P) crossed the PRR in Youngsville was removed when Pennsylvania Route 6 was widened around Youngsville in what was known as the "Youngsville bypass" project, with construction starting in the mid-1960's.
Cactus Jack wrote:Somewhere I saw a little booklet about the line to Sugar Grove. Never could figure out where it actually terminated there.
Really!?! A booklet about the Y&SG!?! The only printed reference I'm aware of that mentions the Y&SG is 4 or 5 pages in Ben Rhorbeck's "Warren County Trolleys". I corresponded with a gentleman from Warren for years who had intentions of writing a book on the line. Unfortunately he suffered from health problems which I suspect prevented him from working on the book as much as he would have liked and he passed away in April of this year. If such a booklet exists I'd certainly be interested in knowing about it.

Not to shill for the "competition" but here's a link to a little photoessay, including some history, and a collection of photos and paper artifacts that my father and I have collected over the years on the the Youngsville & Sugar Grove Street Railway/Warren County Traction Company/Panama Traction Company. This will show you where the line terminated in Sugar Grove and the brick building, still standing, that originally served as the station/waiting room.

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1178290013
 #1445694  by thebigham

I found this abutment in Youngsville next to Rt 6.

It looks like it was the abutment for a NYC bridge over the PRR.

Anyone have pics of this bridge?
Attachments:
Abutment
Abutment
100_0159.JPG (341.31 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
Aerial photo
Aerial photo
a2.png (489.84 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
 #1445750  by Aa3rt

Chris, Yes, that's what's left of the spot where the NYC (Originally DAV&P) crossed over the PRR (Former Philadelphia & Erie) on its way to Titusville. Since I made my original posts I've learned a lot more about the history of the line. The last freight train on the line ran on Aug. 19, 1967. It was always my understanding that the line was severed to allow for the construction of the Youngsville Bypass that rerouted Pennsylvania Route 6 from Youngsville's "main drag". The bypass was officially opened on December 19, 1968.
Attachments:
NYC track chart of Youngsville from 2/1/64
NYC track chart of Youngsville from 2/1/64
youngsvilletrackmap.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 4831 times
 #1445753  by Aa3rt

Here are some vintage postcard views of the DAV&P (NYC) crossing of the PRR. This trestle was later buried with fill dirt which was uncovered when the bypass was constructed, see the following post. I have vague memories of this as I was in my early teens when this was removed.
Attachments:
Looking roughly west as the trestle ascends to cross the PRR. This was later filled in and uncovered when the bypass was constructed.
Looking roughly west as the trestle ascends to cross the PRR. This was later filled in and uncovered when the bypass was constructed.
yville_3.jpg (281.25 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Last edited by Aa3rt on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1445754  by Aa3rt

The same view, however with an accompanying newspaper article.
Attachments:
From the Warren Observer
From the Warren Observer
Uncovered trestle.jpg (88.94 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
 #1445755  by Aa3rt

This view looks almost due east. Obviously the focus is on the furniture factory however you can see the PRR running east to Warren, PA on the left and in the distance the DAV&P/NYC trestle crossing the PRR.
Attachments:
Forest Manufacturing Company, Youngsville, PA
Forest Manufacturing Company, Youngsville, PA
yville.jpg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
 #1445756  by Aa3rt

One last view - the furniture factory again looking roughly southwest. That's the PRR on the right running to Erie via Corry, and the PRR siding going into the factory in the center. Barely visible on the extreme left are the telegraph poles along the DAV&P/NYC right of way.
Attachments:
yville_2.jpg
yville_2.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
 #1445790  by thebigham

Thank you so much!!!

It's only my third time in that area. I was there sometime in the mid1980s and 2005.

I visited the Oil Creek & Titusville RR. They ran a 9 passenger car train with one car of freight.
 #1446087  by pablo

The odd thing is that most of the old ROW is there, except, likely, where that large road crosses 6 to the Rouse. I assume that's the bypass?

You can see the old line clearly from Starbrick all the way to the Youngsville abutments, and then, of course, you can follow it all the way to Titusville if you know where to look.

I view a lot of that as a good opportunity for a solid snowmobile trail from points south to Youngsville...but of course, a lot of the old right of way is now in private hands.

David Becker