Railroad Forums 

• Alco Number DL-721 for RS32 Model

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#840500  by MBTA3247

An old TRAINS article (from March 1965) I read today mentioned a "DL721" locomotive. I'm assuming that was the NYC's designation for a particular type of diesel-electric. Does anyone here know the manufacturer's model number for this locomotive?
 #840513  by RSD15

No thats an Alco number, they also used RS32 for that model.
 #843001  by clehman

I believe DL-721 and RS-32 were both used by Alco to identify these locomotives - these designations were not specific to any railroad that purchased them. New York Central identified them by their Class number, DRS-12a. This was specific to NYC. Again, I believe this stood for Diesel Road Switcher 1200hp. Carl
 #843056  by bill8106

I believe this stood for Diesel Road Switcher 1200hp
"DRS" is correct, it did stand for diesel road switcher. The number (in this case "12") stood for the order in which NYC placed orders for locomotives. In other words, the RS-32 was the 12th different model of road switcher that NYC bought. It all started with the RS-1, or Class DRS-1. Also, a "P" for passenger was inserted if a class (or sub-class, noted by the lower case letter) had steam generators, e.g., a DRSP-6c was a steam gen equipped RS-3, in the third block (c) of orders for this class.

NYC diesels were reclassifed for the PC merger to the Pennsy (I believe) classification system that went by manufacturer and hp. DRS-12a became AF-20; Alco Freight 2000 HP.
 #843182  by Allen Hazen

Yes, PC's classification system (first letter for builder, second for general type (F=freight,S=switcher,P=passenger....) followed by a number for h.p. in hundreds) was based on PRR's system.
 #858348  by wjstix

DL for Diesel Locomotive. Alco "officially" used the DL-XXX designation for their diesels (at least internally) for quite a few years, but I believe later adopted the more common "RS" type name. Note this Atlas model of an ALCO RS-11 demonstrator:

The Soo Line's two RS-27's - which often were seen working together - were called the "Dolly Sisters", with Dolly being a play on the "DL-640" Alco designation. :-D
 #861025  by Bigt

MBTA3247,

The RS32's were originally purchased by the Central for their Flexi-Van service. Over the years, especially after
the PC merger, they migrated to Local and Yard jobs. We had quite a few of them up here on the Montreal Secondary
up to the mid 70's. As a teenager living in Canton, I knew most of the crew(s) working the Local from Massena to Canton
(CTSE) and back each weekday, and, would often ride with them when they switched the Agway Bulk Plant. Some of the units
I recall riding were the 2030, 2031, 2032, 2033, 2034 and 2035. There were also units working out of Gouverneur, and one out
of Ogdensburg when that line still ran from Dekalb thru Rensselaer Falls, Heuvelton then to the 'Burg. The 2031, under the
fireman's window, still had the NYC Cigarband logo showing faintly from under the locomotive number! The crews all seemed
to like them, never heard a complaint about them, except one about the cab heaters. The late Elmer Stark, who was the
engineer on the Canton Local, complained that they were "too damn warm" for his winter weight Kromer Kap!