Railroad Forums 

• 1957 South Anderson

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1515854  by Roger Hensley

1957 South Anderson
South Anderson Yard 1957. NYC boxcar and if you look at the second one, railroad buffs will see that it says, Route of Phoebe Snow, the Lackawanna name.
The name of the man is Charlie Sparks. He was the condr. on the second trick yard engine at Greensburg,In. Yes we all smoked back then and when the traffic got heaver as the night wore on and track room got tight Charlie would start whistling, Nearer my God to Thee. LEW
Maurice Lewman collection.

#1516255  by BR&P

While 1957 is a bit before my railroad days, I can relate entirely. Second trick apparently could be a madhouse no matter where you were judging by your comments, and nothing gives a Yardmaster gray hair faster than 4 trains approaching to drop, with only 1 clear alley in the yard. More than once I told the Dispatcher "you'd better drop him short unless you can tell me how to double-deck them here in the yard!"