Railroad Forums 

• New York Central at Garrison NY - 1963

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1506957  by Roger Hensley

New York Central at Garrison NY - 1963
This 1963 photo was taken in Garrison, NY by Bob La Porte and was used for this Audio Visual postcard. New York Central E7a #4035 is seen heading up The Mohawk overnight run between New York and Chicago.
Attachments:
nyc_4035.jpg
nyc_4035.jpg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
 #1507035  by NYCRRson

Great photo, thanks, My Pop may have been the fireman on that train from Buffalo to Syracuse...

Dad was "setup" as a qualified Steam Loco Passenger Engineer "NYCRR Lines East" in "57" He moved around between the Pass Extra List, Freight Extra List and "held down" regular freight runs running East out of Buffalo during that time. He did not keep any extensive records, so he "could" have been an engineer on any freight running East/West out of/into Buffalo back in the 60's But he also worked as a Pass Fireman during that time. The "older men" would call in and see it their regular train (usually diesel equipped) had a steam engine assigned. If their regular diesel engine equipped run had a steam engine assigned they would "mark off" and Dad would get the run as he was on the Pass Extra List.

Later on (1980's) Dad worked his way up to the top of the seniority roster east out of Buffalo and had the Amtrak equivalent of the Empire State Express as his regular assignment. Start in Niagara Falls 8 am, 3 hour run to Syracuse, run the returning train back to Niagara Falls and be home in time for a normal dinner meal with Mom. Do that every other day and get the highest pay possible. RIP Dad.
 #1508437  by Jim Kaufman

NYCRRSon, I take it your Dad didn't make it to Amtrak takeover of operating crews (Train and Engine) in April 1986. In that month/year, (NYG)ALB-NFL trains operating crews worked ALB-NFL, layover in "Falls" (John's Quality Inn, near Rainbow Bridge), then NFL-ALB in am. Great run, good working conditions with a good crew, good layover (easy access to NFL, Ont). In late 90's the Alb Engrs got the the "Buffalo Chips" out of Alb crew base by turning Alb-Nfl jobs back to Alb-Syr-Alb for Engrs only (train crews continue to this date to run Alb-Nfl-Alb); Buf Engrs run Nfl-Syr-Buf;Buf-Cle-Buf. Just some info for anyone who cares.
 #1509082  by NYCRRson

Jim wrote;

"I take it your Dad didn't make it to Amtrak takeover of operating crews (Train and Engine) in April 1986"

Jim, my Dad did make it to the Amtrak takeover of the operating crews. At that point he had 45 years in on the Conrail seniority roster and could not stomach starting over as a new man on the Amtrak roster.

Dad hated to give up the Amtrak Buf-Syr run, he said it was "The best job he ever held". I think he was concerned that an Albany Man could move to Buffalo and bump my Dad off that train.

So he stayed with Conrail and took on TV-7 & TV-9 (I think those are the train numbers, maybe TV-9 and TV-10 ?), those were the hottest runs on Conrail. They made good time, Buf to Selkirk in 5 maybe 6 hours, then overnight and back home the next day.

Then he retired in 1990 with 49 years of service.