Railroad Forums 

• New York Central G style GRS signal placement

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1488374  by GRSdave

I am new here and have been reading these forums for years.

My question is, Why did New York Central in the late 50's place their G style signals in such a way?

Top signal centered and then second G signal below placed slightly to the right for a particular track. My only
conclusion is, that is the way the earlier original semaphores were placed. They were bigger so as one would not
block the view of the another. MOW just mounted the new G's that way because it was easy, or was there a more important reason?

I notice that new Conrail installs where mounted perfectly vertical.

Thanks to anyone who replies and I love all the information y'all impart.

Dave in Cleveland, Ohio
 #1488511  by GRSdave

I found this in a Google search that shows in the diagram what I am describing. Looks like it was official
from the NYC System Signal Department.
Attachments:
NYC-Signals-1963 GRS-G.jpg
NYC-Signals-1963 GRS-G.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
 #1488549  by ExCon90

They started drifting away from that as early as 1969 or -70 on the Harlem (which had searchlights) and made them all vertical. I never found out why; off-vertical placement for automatic signals was common on many railroads, and I always thought it was a good idea.
 #1488966  by urrengr2003

Staggered Signal Heads denoted an Automatic Signal whose most restrictive aspect was Stop & Proceed. Vertical Signal Heads denoted a Home Signal whose most restrictive aspect was Stop. Automatic Signals were controlled by the movement of trains while Home Signals were controlled by Towermen (Operators, Dispatchers, Levermen, TCS machines). It took a human action to clear a Home Signal, Automatic Signals cleared with the movements of trains thru their blocks. This practice was continued from semaphores to SA-1 Searchlights when TCS was implemented.

NYC staggered their Automatic Signals to the left while adjacent railroad D&H staggerd their Automatics to the right. Just a note on individual carrier preferences to denote signal types.