Railroad Forums 

• Lew Catone (1932-2018)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1488246  by Otto Vondrak

LEWIS N. CATONE, 86, a life-long resident of Goldens Bridge, passed away on September 20, 2018. Lew was born on January 26, 1932 in Mt. Kisco, NY to Dominic and Lucy Catone. He began a 41 -year career with the railroad at the age of 16 when he was hired by New York Central as a Station Agent in Mt. Kisco. In 1950, during the Korean War, he joined the Air Force and served in the Strategic Air Command through 1954. Upon discharge, he resumed his career with the railroad and held a myriad of positions with New York Central, Penn Central, Conrail and Metro-North railroads. He retired in 1989. The Catone family will receive family and friends at Beecher Funeral Home at 1 Putnam Avenue in Brewster on October 20 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. At 12:30 a service of prayer will take place. Lew, who chose cremation, will be laid to rest with his wife Mary Lou at St Joseph’s cemetery in Somers. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations to the ASPCA or the Humane Society would be appreciated. http://www.beecherfuneralhome.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://obittree.com/obituary/us/new-yo ... e/3626846/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lew was also a station agent at Goldens Bridge in the days when the Putnam Division and Lake Mahopac Branch were active. Sometimes he filled in as station agent at Katonah, too. Lew was part of the team that helped in the strategic planning for the start-up of Metro-North Commuter Railroad prior to 1/1/83. I have a copy of a memo in my collection authored by Lew to Conrail HQ outlining the former Conrail freight and MOW equipment that would be retained by MN after 1/1/83. Growing up in Katonah myself, he was always helpful with questions I had about the NYC or MN operations... He will be missed.

-otto-
 #1488583  by Noel Weaver

Lew was a class act in every respect, a gentleman at all times and a great railroader. I remember him well at Oak Point.
Noel Weaver
 #1488740  by Otto Vondrak

Noel Weaver wrote:Lew was a class act in every respect, a gentleman at all times and a great railroader. I remember him well at Oak Point.
Noel Weaver
Whenever I had a question about a railroad event, Lew was the answer...

That lone 40-foot boxcar left behind at East View? "Oh, that was me, I ordered that car so we could store the ethanol heaters for the reefers going to A&P..."

Some siding got tore out in Rochester? "Oh, that was me. We pulled that switch in 19XX when I was division supt..."

Why Metro-North got certain cabooses? "Oh, that was me. I sent a memo to Conrail outlining all of the equipment we would need to start up in 1983..."

Always willing to share info and fill in the gaps. A great guy. He will be missed.

-otto-