Railroad Forums 

• Harlem Wreck 1962?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1486193  by scoostraw

Do any of you know the story behind this one? The photo is currently listed on eBay. The location is not specified. Is it the Harlem??
Attachments:
Harlem_Wreck_1962.jpg
Harlem_Wreck_1962.jpg (439.2 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
 #1486389  by BR&P

10-07-60 Bronx. That was the engine on the traveling switcher which hit the rear of KN-2, which was stopped. Conductor of KN-2 was killed. The following train ran a red.
 #1486439  by BR&P

On another sad note, I'm told the brother of the deceased conductor was himself among the casualties of the head-on several years later. I confess I am not well versed in the geography of the area but it apparently was the one involving NY-4 and an equipment move in the opposite direction which met with tragic results for the crews and much destruction of equipment.
 #1486516  by shlustig

That was the May 1967 collision on the upper West Side.

NY-4 was inbound running against the current of traffic by train order authority, but ND-5 was allowed to depart northbound on the same track instead of being held at West 72nd St.