Railroad Forums 

• MU Capabilities RS-3 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1485202  by urrengr2003

When did the company complete the program of repositioning the MU hoses from above the deck to the front pilots. Recently saw a pic of several 5500's taken in 1968 with hoses above the pilots. I came on the scene in 1964 and the only 5300 hundreds I came across at that time with the high hoses were those units equipped with snow plows. What knowledge of this modification program am I missing?
 #1485260  by BR&P

Not trying to be picky, but in 1964 they still would have been 8300's. The renumbering in preparation for Penn Central did not begin until a few years later. I don't have an exact date but I think it was either late 1965 or early 1966.
 #1487549  by Engineer Spike

I was on the ex NYC RS3 at Adirondack Scenic. I forgot what exactly it was, but the brake valve was changed, or at least the independent was. This was probably so their 6? brakes could MU with 24RL, and 26 L. Burlington Northern did a similar modification on the SD9s. They had a version of number 6 brakes. The independent was replaced with a SA26 , and they had a MU2A cutout, for the independent. They were often run with the ex GN SD9s, which had 24RL.