Railroad Forums 

• 2/22/47 - CHARLOTTE, NY

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1462692  by shlustig

Located on the Rochester Division between Oswego and Suspension Bridge, north of Rochester. Single-track, TT & TO with Manual block; Yard Limit rules apply.

At about 4:20 AM, Eng. 1599 with 38 cars headed west making a switching movement, passed the "STOP" sign and the Red Lantern on the east-end approach to the Genesee River movable bridge. Moving at less than 5 mph, the 1599 dropped into the river, tender derailed and hung off the bridge span; Engr. was killed.

The train crew was in various positions on the ground and said that they gave stop signals with their lanterns which the bridge tender confirmed and stated that he also had given stop signals from the bridge cabin with his flashlight..
 #1462756  by D Alex

That bridge was only removed from the Genesee river a couple of years ago, since it hadn't been used in 35+ years (since the Ho-Jack line was abandoned). The Army Corps of Engineers said it was a hindrance to navigation.....oh, well, there is still the one at Spuyten Duyvil left.
 #1462819  by BR&P

Train was the Third Belt. The fireman quit railroading after that incident. One employee who was not on the crew that night but knew those involved, speculated the engineer may have been suffering from a case of brown bottle flu.

I do find the report a bit puzzling. The report states "Engine 1599 was moving westward... pulling a cut of 38 cars on the main track ..." It further says "The conductor and two brakeman were in the vicinity of the east end of the cut of cars....." "These employees said that they gave stop signals with lighted white lanterns when they observe that the draw-span was in open position immediately after the engine passed the stop sign, and they continued to give stop signals until the engine dropped into the river. "

4AM, snowing, and the men 38 cars back are giving stop signals because he's getting close to the bridge? I suppose the guy 10 cars back may have given a signal and those on the rear repeated it.

Kachler's book "The Snowflaker" mentions this incident. He states the train approached the bridge, stopped, then made a series of small starts and stops before the air dumped. His account says they had 60 cars, altho I would believe the ICC report. The 60 car figure would not be unusual and Kachler probably put that in as a generic estimate. ICC report does not mention the stops and starts, but Kachler was working for NYC in Rochester at the time and no doubt talked to the surviving crew about it.

Rochester is home to Genesee beer, named after that river. Kachler's book says another engineer remarked "He was always a Schlitz man, but now he is full of Genesee".
 #1462925  by BR&P

No. Back then it was a fairly busy place, but within yard limits and at relatively slow speed. No rail service there at all now. :(
 #1463088  by NYCRRson

My Dad got called for a run from Buffalo to Rochester and then down the Charlotte Branch. Dad asked for a pilot....

The Pilot showed up and as the pilot was headed towards the engine the yardmaster called out; "Whatever you do don't let that man (the pilot) operate that locomotive"....

Off they go, Dad asks the pilot (who is supposed to know the track); "Are there any speed restrictions, curves, grades I should know about ?" The Pilot responded; "I Don't Know"..... Dad took it easy and made it to Charlotte safe.... He was heard to mutter; "Some Pilot".....

I believe it was the US Coast Guard that wanted that RR Swing Bridge removed, they considered it a Hazard to Navigation. Not sure the US Army Corp of Engineers was involved.
 #1463106  by Statkowski

The Army Corps of Engineers is tasked with maintaining navigable waterways, but the Coast Guard has jurisdiction over navigation on such waterways, including movable bridges crossing such waterways.

The New Haven had a movable bridge over Westchester Creek in The Bronx, New York City, and they wanted to inactivate it since commercial traffic ceased going that far upstream. The Coast Guard required they maintain a bridge tender (and logbook) for seven years. No traffic at all during that period? Inactivation approved. Seven years, three tricks a day, seven days a week.
 #1463220  by BR&P

NYCRRson wrote:My Dad got called for a run from Buffalo to Rochester and then down the Charlotte Branch. Dad asked for a pilot....

The Pilot showed up and as the pilot was headed towards the engine the yardmaster called out; "Whatever you do don't let that man (the pilot) operate that locomotive"....

Off they go, Dad asks the pilot (who is supposed to know the track); "Are there any speed restrictions, curves, grades I should know about ?" The Pilot responded; "I Don't Know"..... Dad took it easy and made it to Charlotte safe.... He was heard to mutter; "Some Pilot".....
ImageImage

Would LOVE to know who that pilot was, altho I could take a guess or two!
 #1463286  by scottychaos

D Alex wrote:That bridge was only removed from the Genesee river a couple of years ago, since it hadn't been used in 35+ years (since the Ho-Jack line was abandoned).
hadnt been used in 25+ years, since BeeBee station stopped getting coal by rail.
last trains over the bridge were about 1992. (maybe plus or minus a year)
State street branch rails were taken up in 1994.

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1463319  by Statkowski

Inactivating a movable bridge and removing a no-longer-used bridge are two separate things. How long did it take to get the no-longer-used 3rd Avenue El and 9th Avenue El bridges removed across the Harlem River in New York City? Years, and years, and years.