Railroad Forums 

• Auburn road passenger equipment?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1456866  by D Alex

I've seen the pics of the wreck on the Auburn road in Brighton, NY circa 1948, where it looks like a teens-era locomotive (2-6-2??) and a couple of old heavyweight cars (which seems to confirm what I've read about the service on the 'old road' being dirty, decrepit, and always behind schedule), but I was wondering if in the later years there was more modern equipment on this line? Maybe a boiler-equipped RS, or even an RDC? Anybody have any pics?
 #1456896  by BR&P

If that is the winter scene, I believe it's a bit earlier, about 1944 or 45. They did eventually go to diesels (RS3's) on those trains but I'll have to ask about equipment. One pair was 18 and 3, can't recall the other job without looking it up.
 #1457207  by urrengr2003

My Dad arranged a lease with the NYC for the Freight Station at Halfway, N.Y. in 1950 for his company. This station being on the Auburn Road between Martisco & Skaneateles Jct. Worked out there frequently to earn allowance $'s and observed many passings of the westbound day psgr train. Never recall ever seeing any light weight equip in this service; equipment usually an 8200 & three cars (bag with two coaches). Rode this train frequently thru from Syracuse to Auburn & with arrangements of Mr. Art Ellis, Psgr Agent, was able to buy transportation Syracuse to Halfway. Pretty high class operation by NYC making special stop for boy of eight years.
 #1457259  by BR&P

Pretty much what he says above. My source says usually a Pacific up front, 4392 was one that was used often. Baggage, a couple coaches for sure. Sometimes a Railway Express, sometimes a mail car or two. Mostly older equipment although occasionally when they were in a bind a stainless steel car would show up. The day trains were 4 and 11, night trains were 18 and 3. Ballpark 7:30 departure from Rochester for each - AM and PM as the case may be. Track speed was generally 60 mph, although of course there were various speed restrictions. Running time to Dewitt was roughly 4 hours.
 #1457356  by ExCon90

The December 1944 Official Guide shows two 12-1 sleepers out of Rochester on the night train: one for Washington, set out for the PRR at Canandaigua, and the other connecting at Syracuse for GCT. Anybody know when they came off?
 #1457384  by BR&P

Don't have the date the sleeper came off, but here's a photo off the internet of an NYC train in each direction, and the PRR preparing to depart.
NYC-PRR Canandaigua.jpg
NYC-PRR Canandaigua.jpg (68.3 KiB) Viewed 5623 times
 #1458003  by D Alex

BR&P wrote:Don't have the date the sleeper came off, but here's a photo off the internet of an NYC train in each direction, and the PRR preparing to depart.
NYC-PRR Canandaigua.jpg
Is that ON rt. 332, or on the space behind the buildings? I know that there is still an old freight building behind the buildings.
 #1458012  by BR&P

View is westward, Pleasant Street in the foreground, what is now Rt 332 is the next crossing west. (May have been Rt 332 back then too, I don't know).

OT a bit, but it is uphill westbound here. FGLK trains must pull up near the crossing and wait while the circuit times out and the highway traffic light changes before they can go. Can be a bit of a challenge with a heavy train and wet rail!
 #1458014  by BR&P

TB Diamond wrote:The sleeper was dropped effective April 25, 1955. It had connected with 3-7 and 18-8.
Does that indicate the 4 trains had been combined into 2 by that time?
 #1458033  by TB Diamond

Correct.

3 and 18 were daily except Sunday.

7 and 8 were Sunday only.

These trains were all dropped on May 19, 1958.
 #1458040  by BR&P

BR&P wrote:Does that indicate the 4 trains had been combined into 2 by that time?
My question was not expressed clearly but you have answered it. . The 4 daily trains (4/11, 18/3) were now just 2, one in each direction. 4 and 11 had been eliminated.