Railroad Forums 

• Albany Union Station (Can Anyone ID This Location?)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1456535  by Noel Weaver

A reasonable question could be what was a NYC Budd car doing in the lower (D & H) level in the first place? The only thing I can figure out from this is that for a short period maybe in 1956 or 1957 (I will try to dig old timetables out on this one) they ran a round trip with a RDC on the River Division between Albany and Kingston down in the morning and back to Albany in the early afternoon. This connected with a Kingston trip out of Weehawken that ran through to Albany until about the mid 1950's when it was cut back to Weehawken - Kingston and return RT. The Budd car served as a connection for both of these trips but it did not last too long. I think I have one public timetable showing this operation and I will try to dig for it. At least it will give the dates. The book "Along the Old West Shore" has a decent photo of the Budd car in Kingston but it does not give the date. With the paint on the end of the car, when did they do that, I don't think it was this early so who knows.
Noel Weaver
 #1456565  by Noel Weaver

In further to my last the NYC ran a round trip out of Albany to Kingston in the timetable of September 28,1952 which made connection at Kingston with the daytime RT which ran between Weehawken and Kingston. The next timetable I have is dated April 26, 1953 and this train is not in it so I guess they did not consider it a,success. This information is from public timetables of the period.
Noel Weaver
 #1456609  by J.D. Lang

With the paint on the end of the car, when did they do that, I don't think it was this early so who knows
I think that they started painting the zebra stripes on the RDC's around 1963. I have a book with a picture of a Budd car coming through Breakneck Ridge in 1962 without the stripes. I may be mistaken but to me the pictures looks like it's showing the eastern most yard tracks on the upper part of Albany Union Station.

J. Lang
 #1469137  by foxtrot

This is lower level Albany Union Station, bridge in background is Livingston Ave Bridge which I read i slated to be replaced, currently 10mph restriction. Water tower was on top of Central Warehouse which had rail access off Livingston Ave Bridge. Bridge provides access to Amtrak station in Rensselear, previously old NYC shops