Railroad Forums 

• Albany Union Station (Can Anyone ID This Location?)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1456122  by scoostraw

I thought Spuyten Duyvil at first also, but it doesn't look right to me.

None of these tracks look like mainline tracks do they? No third rail? And isn't the Budd Car on a stub track?
 #1456198  by BR&P

...., with LAB in the background.
Image Thought I knew who you meant, but I guess you mean something else?
 #1456203  by scoostraw

That's it! Albany Union Station.

(LAB is the Livingston Avenue Bridge - the old freight bridge over the Hudson, which is now used by Amtrak)

Thanks guys.
 #1456215  by J.D. Lang

shlustig wrote:Looks like the lower level (D&H / NYC) of Albany Stn. with LAB in the background.
I used to board trains at Albany Union station in the early 60's. Definitely Livingston Ave. Bridge in the background. The Budd on the pocket train is the Beeliner that ran between Albany and Boston arriving at Albany early afternoon. I used to board it in Pittsfield and change trains in Albany for the trip to Syracuse. The head end cars on the other tracks would be switched in and out of trains coming and going from NYC or to the west or Boston on the overnight mail train. Also if you look to the upper left corner you can barely see the water tower on top of the old Central Warehouse that was just north of the station.

J.Lang
 #1456222  by BR&P

scoostraw wrote:That's it! Albany Union Station.

(LAB is the Livingston Avenue Bridge - the old freight bridge over the Hudson, which is now used by Amtrak)

Thanks guys.
Thanks - understand now. (There was an NYC official by those initials, but I could not find any people in the pic! :P )
 #1456312  by urrengr2003

Note the Beeliner sitting across the insulated joints adjacent to the Dwarf Signal. A Tower had several of these Dwarf Signals set back account of the curvature on the leads to protect equipment sitting on station tracks. There was always a supply of grain doors (used when grain was shipped in box cars) adjacent to the wall on the east end of the station. Their use being to be placed under the last truck of a car to prevent shunting a track circuit with that truck on a station track past the Dwarf Signal thereby allowing one more car to clear on the station track while giving the lead back to the signalman at A. Such were the tools of the Road To The Future.

Also note train stop inductor ahead of the Beeliner; this inductor was alwasy open and required an acknowledgement when being passed over. This was part of the Air Brake Tests to quailfiy the ATS equipment to go east when the Beeliner changed ends.
 #1456320  by scoostraw

urrengr2003 wrote:Note the Beeliner sitting across the insulated joints adjacent to the Dwarf Signal. A Tower had several of these Dwarf Signals set back account of the curvature on the leads to protect equipment sitting on station tracks. There was always a supply of grain doors (used when grain was shipped in box cars) adjacent to the wall on the east end of the station. Their use being to be placed under the last truck of a car to prevent shunting a track circuit with that truck on a station track past the Dwarf Signal thereby allowing one more car to clear on the station track while giving the lead back to the signalman at A. Such were the tools of the Road To The Future.

Also note train stop inductor ahead of the Beeliner; this inductor was alwasy open and required an acknowledgement when being passed over. This was part of the Air Brake Tests to quailfiy the ATS equipment to go east when the Beeliner changed ends.
Interesting.