Railroad Forums 

• 20th Century Red Carpet

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1448665  by TCurtin

A number of 1960's photos of the Century ready of depart from its terminals show the red carpet gone. When was it officially "retired?"
 #1448756  by R Paul Carey

The carpet had indeed been "retired", but whether stored or replaced new, the carpet reappeared in 1962 as part of an effort to put a "shine" on the Century service and it remained in use until the end, in 1967.
 #1448821  by TCurtin

There are photos (in books) dated 1965, or 1966, that show no carpet. I should point out that those of us who examine such photos critically are well aware that many are misdated in print, so those dates may not be right
 #1449029  by PC1100

I noticed in the 1961 NBC documentary "Railroads: End of the Line?" at the start of the footage of the Century at around the 23:50 mark the narrator mentions that the red carpet was no longer rolled out. This was the first I had ever heard of this. Perhaps it occurred when the 20th Century was combined with the Commodore Vanderbilt in 1958?
 #1449101  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The Williamson Library at GCT (NY Division-RRE) has one of these 20th Century Limited carpets
preserved on display along with many other railroadiana items in their collection...

Does anyone know if there was more then one NYC 20th Century Limited welcome carpets and
for that matter just how long were they? Are any others known to be preserved anyplace?

MACTRAXX
 #1449168  by edbear

A carpet was rolled out at LaSalle St. too, but it was more like an area rug.