Railroad Forums 

• Putnam Division passenger service

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1204442  by Paul1705

Were all stations on the line served until the end of passenger service? I would have thought that there were a lot of low ridership (or maybe even no ridership) stations that could have dropped in earlier years. Even as flag stops they probably weren't needed.
 #1204607  by Backshophoss

At the end,there were 2 Brewster-Sedgwick Ave "rush hour" round trips and a pair of Sedgwick Ave-Ardsley short turns,
1 Sedgwick Ave-(Brewster)Lake Mahopac round trip on sat, 1 "rush hour" round trip via the "around the horn" route (Brewster-Lake Mahopac-
Goldens Bridge-GCT)along with 1sat only round trip,and 1 sun round trip "around the horn"
source:NYC ETT#2 dated 10/27/1957.
 #1204777  by Noel Weaver

The last two public timetables do not show the Ardsley trains so they were dropped before the end. These two timetables were dated March 24, 1958 and April 27, 1958 which was the very last one. I'll have to do some more research to find just when the two Ardsley trips were dropped. Stay tuned.
Noel Weaver
 #1205068  by Otto Vondrak

Here's the final issue, April 27, 1958...
Attachments:
NYC Form 114 April 27 1958
(433.81 KiB) Downloaded 31205 times
 #1205069  by Otto Vondrak

For comparison, here's the Northbound and Southbound Weekday schedule for the Put from April 24, 1932...
Attachments:
NYC Form 114 April 24, 1932 - Southbound
(340.54 KiB) Downloaded 31204 times
NYC Form 114 April 24, 1932 - Northbound
(458.2 KiB) Downloaded 31204 times
 #1213514  by Tommy Meehan

I must admit I get quite a kick out of looking at those old timetable scans and I thank Otto for providing them!

I also found myself daydreaming about how I could've commuted on the Putnam Branch. Not in later years but back in 1932 when it was still possible to 'reverse commute.' I live in Yonkers and worked in Elmsford for many years. Here's how it would've worked for me.

I would've started by boarding a Yonkers Railroad No. 5 car on Nepperhan Avenue and getting off when we reached Odell Avenue. Then walk over the Saw Mill River Parkway bridge and down the stairs to the platform at Gray Oaks. I would've boarded Train 101 at 7 18 AM and arrived at Beaver Hill at 7 43 AM. That's almost the same schedule as when I took the Bee-Line bus only a bit faster! I noticed en route 101 meets Train 154 between Nepera Park and Mount Hope.

Returning wouldn't have been quite as convenient. Train 134 would've been a bit early (and it didn't stop at Beaver Hill). Train 108 would've had to do. That train stopped at Beaver Hill at 5 51 PM (a flag stop but after the first couple times the crew would probably 'expect' to see someone waiting) and would get me to Gray Oaks at 6 12 PM. Train 108 met 159 at Ardsley and Train 107 between Nepera Park and Gray Oaks.

That would've been fun.
 #1213773  by Jack Shufelt

Regarding Ardsley service. Trains 939, 941, 942 and 946 were added between Sedgwick Avenue and Ardsley effective with Supplement No. 1 of June 1, 1957 to ETT No. 1 of April 28, 1957. At that same time other adjustments to Putnam Division trains were made.

These trains continued to operate with ETT No. 2 of Oct. 27, 1957 but were eliminated with ETT No. 3 of April 27, 1958.

I would speculate that those trains were eliminated on March 24, 1958. Unfortunately I do not have that ETT Supplement or Bulletin Order but Noel's PTT I believe pretty well establishes the date they ended service.
 #1214357  by Tommy Meehan

Tommy Meehan wrote: ....I noticed en route 101 meets Train 154 between Nepera Park and Mount Hope....Train 108 met 159 at Ardsley and Train 107 between Nepera Park and Gray Oaks.
I was curious about the meets between passenger trains, curious as to where exactly the sidings were located. From looking at 1942 Harlem-Putnam Division ETT No. 55 on the Canada Southern site I learned the following:

There was a 147-car siding located between Gray Oaks and Nepera Park (a distance of 0.7 miles).
There was a 92-car siding located between Chauncey and Ardsley (a distance of 0.9 miles).
There was a 28-car siding located at "Ardsley, west of crossover."
 #1214692  by Noel Weaver

I dug out a bunch of old Harlem/Putnam Employee Timetables and came up with:
as of timetable 51, April 28, 1940 passenger train meets took place at Duknwoodie 13 or 20, Nepperhan 28, Gray Oaks - Ardsley 410, Elmsfort 22, East View 34, Briarcliff Manor 22, Millwood 21, Yorktown Heights 22/12, and Baldwin Place 25. The numbers after the siding name indicate capacity of 44 foot cars. Later timetables showed meets at most of these points but meets were reduced as the timetables contained fewer and fewer trains. After the big cuts occurred in the mid 50's there were no need for any meets involving passenger trains. As i remember and my movies show the last train from Sedgwick Avenue to Brewster met the local freight at Yorktown Heights and this might have been the last meet ever on this line as I don't think at any time after that it had more than one local freight at any time and on any one given day.
An interesting move took place on the Harlem/Putnam for many years and that was for two trains combined to depart from either Brewster Station or Putnam Junction Yard coupled and the two trains were separated at Lake Mahopac and one went down the branch to Goldens Bridge and ran the Harlem to North White Plains and on to Grand Central Terminal while the other one went down the Putnam Division to Sedgwick Avenue where it terminated. The same move took place too in the other direction where the two trains would combine at Lake Mahopac for the ride to either Putnam Junction or Brewster.
Another excuse to drag out some old timetables to browse through, I always enjoy doing that.
Noel Weaver
 #1214846  by Tommy Meehan

I was primarily interested in the sidings where Trains 101 and 108 (the weekday 'reverse commute' trains) had meets between Gray Oaks and Beaver Hill, the portion I would've ridden (if I had been around back then). I didn't mean to suggest those were the only sidings where passenger trains could meet. Here's a scan of some of the sidings listed from ETT No. 55. I underlined the ones I referred to:

Btw I noticed in the 1942 ETT the morning train, No. 101, now departs Gray Oaks at 7 12 AM EDST and arrives Beaver Hill at 7 44 AM. I guess it ran a few minutes earlier in 1942 because it had gained a meet with Train 124 (shown as either Chauncey or Ardsley) in addition to Train 154 at Mt. Hope. Back in 1932 Train 124 was not on the schedule.

At night 'my' train 108 still arrived Beaver Hill at 5 51 PM (after a meet with 157 at Eastview) and then met 159 at Elmsford. However arrival time at Gray Oaks was slightly earlier at 6 081/2 PM versus 6 12 PM in 1932, because the meet with Train 107 had been moved to Nepperhan, the next station south (east).

Now if somebody would finally invent that time machine we could all meet at Sedgwick Avenue and go for a ride!
 #1214984  by charlie6017

Noel Weaver wrote:Another excuse to drag out some old timetables to browse through, I always enjoy doing that.
We're definitely grateful for all the great info you have provided us with over the years.......I certainly
enjoy looking through my own resources as well. Great way to pass the time. Just wanted to give a shout-out
of thanks. ;-)

I would also like to thank ALL of you for taking the time to add your items here for all of us to share! They most certainly
are appreciated! :-D

Charlie
 #1215518  by Earle Baldwin

Since the topic of employee timetables was raised, would anyone have suggestions regarding dealers or other sources for Putnam Division ETTS or combined Putnam/Harlem Division ETTS? I have but a precious few at this point and would like to acquire more if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input.

Bob